Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

WTB: SP250 hardtop

pjbowman

WTB: SP250 hardtop

Post by pjbowman »

If anyone knows of a hardtop available for an SP250, preferably in the US, please let me know. My car originally came with one, would like to get one for it again!
Peter B.

Re: WTB: SP250 hardtop

Post by #100910 »

pjbowman

Post by pjbowman »

Thanks - that seems a bit 'steep'?! Anyone out there bought one of these recently in similar condition, and if so, can you say what you think it should realistically cost?
Peter B.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

One sold earlier this year in the UK for £846 (approx $1100). Cosmetically it was in better condition although both the paintwork and the lining needed attention.

There's not normally a great demand for the hardtops, since when fitted they're quite claustrophobic for anyone above average height and they can mark the paintwork where they sit on the body. When not fitted they are a pain to store in the garage. Since nowadays the cars are generally becoming more fair weather tourers than daily drivers, hardtop cars are not a common sight.

On the plus side they complement (and perhaps enhance?) the lines of the body and they do make the car much cosier in the winter.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Bud

Post by Bud »

Miss October "likes" her hardtop very much.

The top in question has "all" the hardware and rubber parts ( some of which are still avail I'm told ). Looks to be glass (+++) vs perspex or plexiglass, make sure the steel in the lower rim of the top is in tact, that is the weak point where water may wick into the GFR and "undetected" rust the part from inside.
So to just reline the upholstery, spray a little paint, and go for a ride in your car as you would like it is your call. Remember, not every car came with one and they are not being re-popped as I am currently aware. So a complete starter top where there are few or none to choose from is miles ahead of want ads. Whether it is a frequent application or just to be in a different car once in a while as the spirit wills, if you have it you can, if you don't have it ....you can dream.
Remember the "Leno" factor is in effect for all parts, but who knows, they may just come climbing out of the wood work for you now that you want one. Good luck completing your quest.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I would say you shouldn't need to pay more than £500. Lots of us have them but hardly ever use them. But they are great to use occasionally especially in winter. They do firm up the whole body when in use.

I guess it may be worth contacting John Carey if you have not done so already.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

Bringatrailer.com has a nearly complete SP together with a hard top in Massachusetts currently at $600 with 6 days to go. Tempting but a lot of work.
Keith