Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

daimler el24

woljags

daimler el24

Post by woljags »

can anyone help with a serviceable cylinder head for my el24 [1939] please,as long as its not cracked I can overhaul and rebuild one if necc
,cheers bob

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: daimler el24

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

They are rare. I know there is some effort being made towards new replacements. But I think the number of owners prepared to invest is currently too small to make the project work. I'm sure the registrar will update us on progress as he is working hard to resolve the shortage.
I asked my local pattern maker about a ball park figure to make the tooling. About £6000 for the patterns. Castings would be around £350 each and then machining.
It's never cheap to re tool but probably the only way forward.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Yes, it's a work in progress, and as Marcel says, the key issue is cost. We probably have a group of 4 or 5 owners now waiting on heads. Broadly speaking there are 2 current avenues of approach:

- Claudio Tescari has been working on this in Germany for some years. He is in the old car business himself so has trade contacts, but it is slow progress, and he has been let down on a number of occasions. However we think we are near to getting a price, so watch this space.
- Lindsay Price in Australia can make you a one off bespoke head but there are issues with the time required, and of course the distance involved.

Overall this won't be a cheap exercise. Bear in mind that a new alloy head for a RR 20/25 can be bought off the shelf ready to fit, but costs £5000. We face this kind of cost plus the costs associated with tooling up for such a small run.

PM me for more detail if required.

Mark

woljags

Post by woljags »

I would be interested in a replacement head please

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Bob, did you see my article in the DM a while ago? It gives pretty much the full picture. If not email me and I will send you a copy.

Mark

woljags

Post by woljags »

hi guys my e-mail address is

woljags@hotmail.co.uk

RobInCov

Post by RobInCov »

Might be years too late but I have one

woljags

Post by woljags »

ive needed one for years now ,car is still in show condition but badly needs a head,ive got the original ive been working on myself ,worst case i will reuse this once im happy ive repaired the problems