Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

WANTED.. 2 1/2 V8 main bearing caps......

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

WANTED.. 2 1/2 V8 main bearing caps......

Post by tjt77 »

Does anyone have some 'beyond economical repair' cylinder blocks laying around ? I'm seeking some main bearings caps.. specifically those for No2 and no4 .. so far I have 3 broken ones from 2 cylinder blocks ... one cylinder block is at machinists and awaiting replacement No4 cap before it can be line bored .. hoping someone can help asap.. thank you, tim.trevithick@yahoo.com
BTW.. IF there is someone out there who has fabricated some billet steel main bearing caps .. I'd be interested in purchase of a set or two..

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: WANTED.. 2 1/2 V8 main bearing caps......

Post by A.N.Other »

Russ Carpenter
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Thanks..I emailed Russ today.. will see what transpires.. also contacted Robert Grinter.. who initially replied promptly and said he has them available, but Ive been unable to reach him since ( a week or so now)

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Zero response from Russ Carpenter.. but Robert Grinter came up with what i require and its on its way ... I expect to have the engine assembled and ready to install by end of June.. Ive rebuilt all ancillaries over the past week or so.. With the last of some really badly messed up components, the exhaust manifolds getting sorted out on thursday ( almost a full days job as the hacked off downpipes had rusted solid in the manifolds.. it took huge effort and a few tricks to get them out..2 hrs on the 1st one..about 3 on second..then removing the remains of the metal faced sealing rings took further time.. before the broken studs were drilled out,holes re-tapped, manifolds media blasted to get them nice and clean..and new studs installed to replace the broken ones..frustratingly slow progress.. but at least its now done)
Another with a locked up engine just arrived.. given all the issues and horrendous expense with these daimler engines , i might do an engine swap.. I have both 4.2 and 4.6 rover V8s on hand.. plus the ZF 4hp 22 auto box's.. and a couple of the BL R380 5 speed manuals .. 200- 220 hp sounds lot better than 140.. plus a known to be very durable engine that produced great gobs of torque at low speed makes sense to me..I can up the gearing for more relaxed driving... and its lighter then the daimler unit, with narrower v angle, so a bit more room for the one issue that will require some creative fabrication:- exhaust manifolds..