Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 parts

charles howlett

DE36 parts

Post by charles howlett »

Does anyone know of a good source of parts for these cars?
I need a wheel as all I have for a spare is the loose tyre. I have not delved any further apart from trying to find tyres. It seems 800 x 17 are impossible to find and all that's available is 7.50 x 17 and they are a shorter tyre than the 800 x 17. Being slightly narrower does not matter but they will have a smaller overall diameter.
Does anyone have any suggestions because I have noted that there are quite a few cars still extant?

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: DE36 parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

It's possible to get tyres made of the correct size with the tread of your choice. The only issue would be finding probably 9 other owners prepared to buy a set.

charles howlett

Post by charles howlett »

Now that is very interesting!
Recently I spoke to someone who works for Continental tyres and he said that a new mould would be around £160,000. That seemed to have put the block on further action.
However, given that DE36s have six wheels and most DE27s have either five or six there would be a demand. Surely? Given the recent discussions about tyres for other models there might be sufficient demand.
Having looked up DE36 models on the internet there are several about. The maroon and cream one LTJ 286, Callows Classics of Boston have two, there were two being used for a wedding but it's not necessarily the case that the cars would need tyres.
Could you explain how new tyres could be made available please. Incidentally, why the total number of ten owners?

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Charles, do not be anxious. There are several tyres available for our cars. The sizes may differ slightly from the original spec but you can choose what suits.
I'll try to find the data that much more clever people than I have complled.
They are not cheap because they are very large tyres but have been very successful. The biggest problem I encountered was poor fitting of the inner tubes resulting in pinching and folding of the tube and some rather unpleasant flat tyre episodes.
Stay tuned.
Peter Grant

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Generally speaking there is a minimum order which is based on a days production.
I think the last batch I know of being made for pre war Daimlers was for 50 tyres.
If I find the detail I will update the forum.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Charles,

I fitted Firestone 700 x 17 tyres to my car and they are excellent. A little smaller diameter wise than the original 800 x 17 but still good and they fit in the wheel carrier.

Peter Ruifrok fitted 700 x 17 Dunlop Fort tyres to his DE36 and was happy with them when I was asking around.

If you email me on peter.grant@schwartz.com.au I can share any spare part details I have found and keep updating that as I hear of others suitable bits eg oil filters, seals etc.

Cheers
Peter Grant