Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB17 oil filter

Seventeen

DB17 oil filter

Post by Seventeen »

Hi,

Thanks for allowing me to join.

The oil filter casting on my '38 DB17 has a nasty, leaky, brazed repair on it, so ideally I'd like to find a better replacement. I haven't delved deeply into this old repair, in case I make it worse, but as there's also minor damage to the filter housing seating area, I'd prefer to find a replacement.

This type has two bolts securing the filter housing to the main casting.

I'm told that the related 15hp engine filter has a three-bolt housing fixing (but could a 15's complete housing be bolted onto my engine??)

Can anyone help me either find a replacement DB17 type casting, or - if it will bolt straight on - a replacement from a 15 engine?

My casting has the number 41906 in it.

Thanks, Richard

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: DB17 oil filter

Post by ranald »

Hi Richard, Have you considered converting to a spin on type of filter. I seem to recall Marcel Renshaw was supplying these for the Daimler 15. Maybe this could be adapted for your car. All the best, Ranald

Seventeen

Post by Seventeen »

I wasn't aware of that option, thanks for that, if I can't a) find a replacement DB17 fitting, or b) find a 15hp fitting if it'll go on, then I'll look into that conversion.

rgds, Richard

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Yes I have done spin on conversion kits.
It might be worth checking your casting is machined flat considering the previous repair work.
I could check it for you if that helps.

Seventeen

Post by Seventeen »

Thanks Marcel, will look into that if I get nowhere with a factory fitting. I'll probably remove mine this evening for a better look at it.

So can anyone confirm that a 15hp filter assy will/will not bolt to the DB17 block, as a direct swap?

thanks