Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rear Main Cork Seal

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Rear Main Cork Seal

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, as many of you will probably know, I recently rebuilt the engine for my Lanchester Eleven this year.
Head Gaskets & Manifold Gaskets are quite readily available, and of course, all the other Gaskets can be made using Gasket Paper.
The only difficulty I encountered, was sourcing the correct Dia and length of Round Cork Seal for the Rear Main Bearing Cap.
Fortunately, Derrick Sleigh had a couple in stock, but I do know the even he has trouble sourcing them, so my question is, does anybody out there know of a supplier?
I will measure the dia and place the dim’s on here, I know that the LA 10 Engine’s require this type of Seal, and it would indeed be great to able to source these Seals
more readily .

Just checked the O/dia and it’s 0.359” 23/64ths or 920 mm .
These dims were taken from an old Seal, so of course a new section will need to be slightly larger, as for length? Well, a “Ball Park” guess would be approx 6.00” Long , of course Two length’s will be required. Maybe 3/8ths 0.375” dia? to effect a good Seal .
Cheers A’l :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Rear Main Cork Seal

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, just trawled through Daimler V8 Engine oil seals and found these:-
Pt No 308402 /308404 these may be suitable , has anybody tried these yet ?
Available from John Nash .

Cheers A’l :D :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

[
Last edited by JT7196 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

[x

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

If you come up short after trying the usual Daimler parts sources, the round cork seals for the BMC 'C' series main bearing caps.( austin healey 100/6 /3000/ austin westminster etc) may do the trick.. they are approx 3/8" in diameter.. length however is likely as issue ( from recollection around 2 3/4" long) .. but you can glue 2 or more together to get the required length.. SC spares in Uk likely carry them ..or dennis welch..

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Also..the Daimler 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 V8 have a round seal twixt main bearing caps and sump..most made today are of an improved material too.. the are avail separately and can sometimes be found on fleabay UK...