Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 2 1/2 litre manual gear lever boot...

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

V8 2 1/2 litre manual gear lever boot...

Post by tjt77 »

Does anyone know source for replacement gear lever boots ? seem all I can find are round boots for the jaguar mk1 and early jaguar Mk2.. the hole the 'shifter boot' goes though was oblong from about '63 onwards..the Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8 saloon should take the same type of boot as the later Mk2 jaguar.. they do make oblong boots for both XJ6 and XKE, but neither are very close to that used on the later mk2,which would be same as that used on the manual Daimler v8 saloon ... does anyone have info on a source for these ??

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: V8 2 1/2 litre manual gear lever boot...

Post by Christopher Storey »

I had one attempt to use a rectangular aftermarket Daimler boot , which failed within about 2 years . I then adapted a Jaguar mark 2 circular boot by making up a metal adaptor plate to convert the rectangular opening to a circular one, which has been fairly successful

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I failed to find an original and in desperation managed to adapt a Porsche 911 rubber from a scrap car in a similar way, it looks fine keeps the engine noise out and seems to be quite durable despite the adaption. Syd

Paul Edginton

Post by Paul Edginton »

I also made up a plate from alloy which went underneath the fiberglass housing then turned up a top plate with a recess on the underside to fit the flange of the Jag round boot. I then drilled top and bottom plates with the appropriate holes cut threads on the bottom plate and screwed all together. Works fine.
Paul

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

I suppose of one is content with round boot then there are a myriad of options..a standard Toyota pick up boot is about same size as the early jag round one, but much more durable.. post '68 MGB one is very versatile and easy to adapt to many applications.. I just wish that someone would make the correct one.. there are lots of aftermarket parts producers for the Mk2 jaguar.. id have thought that ONE of them had come up with a correct oblong boot by now.. apparently not. the XJ6 ones are available..but are an odd shape and dont really work in this application.. ..

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

There were never more than a few hundred manual Daimlers, and the number left now is minuscule . Hence the lack of demand and supply compared with the Jaguar boot

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

That is what I found five years ago when I was on the hunt Chris.

There were all sorts of suggestions on the old forum when the topic came up, but nothing that was anything like the original.

I have never stopped looking for the right thing at auto jumbles, there must be some NOS out there but hens teeth come to mind. I am and never will be content with the wrong boot and only used the substitute boot in desperation.There is nothing worse than the smelly draught that comes up through a leaky rubber boot.

I doubt there is any chance anyone is going to tool up to make new ones in the original shape when the number of cars made was in the hundreds and those that survive even fewer. Syd

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Does anyone know if the later jaguar mk2 boot ( oblong) is the same parts as is used on the daimler V8 2 1/2 manual ? ( an official parts book would confirm) Id think it probably is.. regardless..they dont seem to be available.. the round boots were dropped around '64 in favor of the oblong ones.. yet all the major jaguar parts suppliers only keep the round one..