Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Piston Rings for Conquest Century

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Piston Rings for Conquest Century

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

Does any one have a full set of Standard size Piston rings for a Conquest Century engine, (are rings on a strict Conquest the same?). I am rebuilding a (rusted/seized) Century MK1 engine which appears to have very little wear in the bores and re-ringing it could be a good option.

The rings are seized in the pistons and I'm not sure if I will be able to get them out in one piece - any suggestions how to get them out? Is there a product which dissolves aluminium oxide but doesn't attack aluminium pistons or iron piston rings? I have removed one ring and it appears that it is the aluminium corrosion (white powder) which is causing the rings to stick.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Piston Rings for Conquest Century

Post by Phillmore »

Have you tried a good soaking in penetrating fluid? I'm currently using Ferrosol by Bilt Hamber which I'm pleased with. Plusgas is also another good product.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

I'd try john chatfield at thorntons in Shrewsbury.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Hope this shows that there are different pistons and number of rings
Attachments
img003.jpg

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

piston rings that have seized to piston due to corrosion are often tricky to remove.. by far the most effective way to achieve this is to build and electrolysis tank ( should be able to find instructions with an online search..and its both simple and cheap to construct) basically you remove the corrosion electronically by use of anode/cathode and low voltage DC current.. its very easy to damage the piston ring grooves if you try to remove them when stuck hard.. BTW..do make sure the bores do to have pits in them from corrosion.., if in doubt do the job right with a re-bore and oversize pistons.. it will save you significant time in the long run.. if you value your time, the cost of a new piston set far outweighs the time it takes to re-condition an old pistons with stuck rings.. which can take well n excess of one hour per piston to achieve..and you will still have worn pistons at the end of the day. always wise NOT to take short cuts, and do the job just once properly.

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Hi tjt77.

I had the same problem. Best of luck getting them out. Mine eventually moved but took the liners out of the block, also cracked the block getting them out. I ended up getting another engine. Decided to just use the old engine for bits till I get the new one sorted properly. I have a set of oversized pistons if you are interested. New and still boxed. If you're interested send me a pm or email.

All the best Stuart