Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

432997 tappet chest bush?

nkh763

432997 tappet chest bush?

Post by nkh763 »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a supplier of this part for a V8 motor?
I have sourced a supplier but it's a special order part and the manufacturer has none in stock and no motivation to produce any more...

Someone must have had to purchase this part in the past?

Regards,

Nigel Hughes

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 432997 tappet chest bush?

Post by Db n j »

Not sure if you have tried the usual suspects

Barry Thorne
David Manners
Robert Grinter
David Beales

?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Russ Carpenter?

nkh763

Post by nkh763 »

Cheers,

I tried the usual suppliers (local and UK) with no joy...
I have emailed Russ and will keep you posted as I am sure someone else will need some in the future.

The other option is to replace the tappet block but at £51 (used - plus postage) and no guarantee of the state of the inserts I reckon someone must have some lurking about...

Thanks all,

Nigel

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Nigel, what does the bush look like? I had a look a my spare tappet chest and I don't see bushing at all.

nkh763

Post by nkh763 »

Hi,

They are a bronze(?) cylinder that lines the 16 holes. No picture in the parts guide, just a part number.

I'm waiting to hear back from the rebuilder as to whether the replacement tappet block is a goer.
tappet block.png
Regards,

Nigel

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Let me know if you find some as I too need atleast one new bush.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

I just went and looked at my spare tappet chest and remove one of the tappets which did indeed expose the bronze bushing. The sad part is I recently discarded another complete system due to a crack in the upper lip.

nkh763

Post by nkh763 »

The rebuild is now completed so the spare tappet chest did the trick...

The rebuilder did say they could fabricate new inserts but I would say that would cost a little more than the ‎£5 quoted online from david manners for a part they cannot stock but list as available...

Good luck!

Cheers,

Nigel

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

looks like you resolved the problem.. replacing the whole tappet block is generally the most practical route..
most of them came sans any sort of bushing.. just a hole machined in the alloy..those with bushings from new had them fitted due to tolerances being 'off' in the saloon engines, but most of the SP250 tappet blocks had the bronze liners from the get go...
much like with cylinder liners.. most of the cylinder blocks dont have them ..but some did..the original factory lined cylinder bores hold up much better then those without liners.. same with bronze lined tappet blocks.. longer lasting.