Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Overdrive

JSabah

Overdrive

Post by JSabah »

I’ve decided to start looking for a Laycock overdrive type J for my SP250 (with the correct gearing-not for a volvo) ... for anyone who put a Toyota trans in theirs and wants to make some room in the garage please let me know.
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

Feathers

Re: Overdrive

Post by Feathers »

Contact Ben for an overdrive, I think he has a bunch of them.

British Auto
600 Walworth Penfield Road
Macedon, New York 14502
315-986-3097
ben@britishautosalvage.com

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Overdrive

Post by tjt77 »

given your location, the best bet would be to contact 'gear vendors' in El Cajon Ca.. they use a beefed up J type for their overdrive conversions..
far more cost effective, less nuisance to install and a stronger , quicker and smoother shifting box would be to go with a modern 5 speed conversion.. the original SP 250 box is essentially a triumph TR3 box with different casing.. its a really crappy gearbox by modern standards and known to be weak.. if you are detemined to keep the original gearbox and want to add an overdrive, do contact me.. I know of 2 TR3 overdrive boxes available locally.. from which you'd need :- the mainshaft, the overdrive and the adaptor casting (these used the 'A' type overdrive).. it may well be that a triumph TR6 box can be adapted ..which would be a the logical 'period correct' upgrade.. but a bell housing to adapt might prove a issue.. 'conversion components' in NZ have bell housings and may be able to help...