Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

gearbox bell housing

John Chatfield

gearbox bell housing

Post by John Chatfield »

Hi Folks,
I'm looking for a manual gearbox bell housing for a V8, would anyone have one stashed away at the back of the garage they have no use for please?
many thanks,
John

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: gearbox bell housing

Post by tjt77 »

I believe 'conversion components' in NZ has bellhousings available as part of their conversion kit utilizing the toyota supra 5 speed gearbox..
Im looking into modifying an auto bell housing to adapt the common BW T5 gearbox....which is used in multiple cars here in USA.. looks to me like a relatively simple engineering exercise that requires just one adaptor plate to achieve.. assuming one employs a central slave cylinder for the clutch ..also a common and readily available part here. Current build underway is utilizing all the correct bits as used on factory manual overdrive.( taken from a rusted hulk) with the flywheel modified to take a larger ( healey 3000) diaphragm clutch. Frankly a 'modern' gearbox would be preferable .. the old jag full synchro box is both heavy and rather dated, plus there is a choice of far more suitable units available today..with the common T5 gearbox, the many advantages are ;- lighter weight..known reliability and longevity, excellent strength, better shifting..choice of gearstick location.. significant choice of readily available ratios.. and an easy to find parts supply.

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

T5 covers a multitude of sins. There are several different input shaft lengths and combinations of number of splines, spline diameters and pilot tip diameters. Also there are two different box to bellhousing bolt arrangements. So you must decide which T5 box you are going to install first then fit everything else around it.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Peter,
thanks for this info.. so far i have a GM bell housing for the T5 .. and also an adaptor plate to fit that bell housing to a majestic major engine.. along with flywheel and ring gear..( this is a std MM ring gear.. Ive tested a modern 'gear reduction' starter and this all fits fine.. so my thought was to source a camaro T5 box initially ) I also have an adaptor plate and starter to fit a GM bell housing for a 2 1/2 engine along with a 200r4 auto box with overdrive for my ex NZ saloon.. am currently in the process of building the engine for that one

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Dellow Australia also make conversion kits and a have cast bell housing for either the SP250 or Saloon Car -- just have to tell them the location of the starter motor. They are less expensive than the New Zealand one and I can attest to the quality......I purchased one from them. I have a non machined cast bell housing for the Saloon Car with blank end so any transmission could be fitted -- purchased from Barry Thorne and not used.

Ref: http://dellowconversions.com.au/