Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest or Century Piston Ring

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Conquest or Century Piston Ring

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

Does anyone has a new standard size piston ring I could have, buy or borrow.

I have stripped a seized conquest century engine which I hope to rebuild. I can't detect any significant wear in the bores but the old rings have a too large a gap. Before buying a complete new set of rings, I would like to check that the gap is not excessive, using a new ring, ie the bores are not too worn.

I would like to use the block as it is, rather than going for a rebore and new set of pistons but don't want to lash out on new rings if they're not going to work.

Can anyone help?
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: Conquest or Century Piston Ring

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

F W Thornton and son at Telford aren't bad on price for rings and will sell them individually.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Thanks Marcel,

I'll contact them to see what they come up with.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

John Chatfield

Post by John Chatfield »

Ha Ha Henry, a big thanks to Marcel for recommending my employer, yes John Chat, from Thorntons (01952 252892) is a really nice bloke who would love to help,,,, joking apart I can help but if you can confirm your bore size, ring width and if possable radial depth (how deep your ring groove goes into the piston) I can supply a ring for you to try. my work e-mail is :- jchatfield@fwthornton.co.uk I look forward to helping you. egards John

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi John,

Thanks for picking up this query. I did email FWThorntons on Friday with a query about availability of a ring. Most of the dimensions you ask for are in that email except the radial depth. I will try to measure the radial depth tomorrow.

The nominal bore size is 3.000 +/- 0.003 inches. The width of the 3 compression rings is 0.0625/0.0615 (two are tapered) and the oil ring 0.1875 inches.

Thanks for your offer of help.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

weddingcartim

Post by weddingcartim »

i have all sorts of old rings