Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1937 Daimler Sports saloon Speedo issue

David1

1937 Daimler Sports saloon Speedo issue

Post by David1 »

Hi All
I have just had a replacement cable made up by Speedy cables, and great job they made of it, galvanized outer, looks fabulous as it appears out of the bulkhead and disappears down past exhaust manifold on it's way to the gearbox, I digress.
When I went to connect it up to the speedy I found that the speedometer which hasn't turned a single mile in the last 46yrs has seized or frozen stiff. Remembering the issues I have had over the years with a certain instrument restorer and repairer, I would like to ask advise as to whether anyone knows of any home grown remedies, or a reliable restorer. Of course it goes without saying if anyone has one in working order with or without the face I could purchase please get in touch.

Regards to you all David
Attachments
2016-04-04 11.20.52.jpg
2016-04-04 11.20.04.jpg
2016-04-04 11.19.44.jpg

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: 1937 Daimler Sports saloon Speedo issue

Post by theoldman »

I hope this is not your horror supplier David, but I had good service with a broken clock from this fellow:_

http://thegaugeshop.com/

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

David1

Post by David1 »

No it's not Neil, thanks for the link, will check them out.

Regards

David

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

David - seized speedo drives are not uncommon on these old instruments and the good news is you probably won't need to send it away for repair.
To free it up, simply spray WD40 on the drive around the brass bushing until the cavity is full. After spraying it leave it for a day or so to let it do its work. In the meantime file a square to the end of a small steel bar to fit the drive and use it to gently ease it very slightly in both directions the next day. It'll start off pretty tight, so don't force it, and after a few minutes it'll almost certainly start to free up. Once it has, carry on until it spins freely. The housing is aluminium and the drive shaft is made of steel and it's rare for corrosion to cause seizure because the speedo lives in a very dry environment; far more likely is that it's crud that has quietly solidified over years of non-use, and WD40 softens it.
Most AC speedos have a small brass plug pressed into the drive housing, although I can't see one in your photos. However, if there is then carefully ease it out with the tang of a small watch-makers file if you have one. That's a bit tricky so take care! Under the plug should be a felt wick which is used to lubricate the drive shaft. Soak the wick in light machine oil (SU carb. dashpot oil is fine) to lubricate the drive and refit the plug. Rinse the speedo's complete drive end in clean petrol to get rid of any muck that's been released before you refit the plug.
If you do all this it's also a good idea to apply a little grease to the speedo gears if you can access them, especially the worm drive. This fastened to the speedo drive shaft and it's there to drive the two mile counters through a gear train.
Hope this helps.
Steve

David1

Post by David1 »

Morning Steve, thank you for that concise appraisal of the reason and possible remedy that I may be able to achieve on my seized speedo. have been filling up and leaving it to soak for a good week now, and although I have tried a little tweak from side to side maybe I need to exert a little more force. regarding the brass plug that you say has a felt oil wick at the bottom of, is this the one you are referring to, and is it the whole plug that I should be trying to extract?

Greatfully yours

David
Image of plug on body
Image of plug on body
Image of plug on body
Image of plug on body

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The advice you have received is very sound as there is little to go wrong with the type of speedo you have. Just one point though - "replace" the WD40 with a spot of 3 in 1 oil (or better still, proper clock oil) as WD40 eventually congeals over a period of time, and you could be back to square one!!

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I can also recommend Ferrosol as a replacement for WD40, available from Bilt Hamber. I've used it for years, it is vastly superior in terms of freeing seized mechanisms, and doesn't congeal or fail. It continues to lubricate long after it appears to have dried off. I've even used it to revive an electronic key fob that had been immersed in salt water for 2 months. It might be worth a try.

http://www.bilthamber.com/ferrosol

Mark

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Just ordered 4 cans!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I can thoroughly recommend pretty much everything they sell, I use lots of their stuff and find it almost unbeatable.

David1

Post by David1 »

Thanks Guys

Thanks to the advise of Steve in Australia it is now working, without the need of sending it away, great result!

I have ordered a can of Ferrosol and will give it a go.

David