Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

lanchester parts and information needed

alan la10

lanchester parts and information needed

Post by alan la10 »

hi could anyone heip me please im new to the lanchester scene after a recent purchase of a 1935 lanchester la10 six super light which has been in storage since the earley 70s im trying to source 4 inlet valves which i think the part number is 259978 and one valve washer for the split cone part number 260550 and also information on the best place to get gaskets eg head gasket etc it has the 4 cylinder 1203 cc engine in it thanks alan

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: lanchester parts and information needed

Post by classiclife »

Hello Alan,

I'm sure some Lanchester owners will be answering your call, but in the meantime might be worth contacting FW Thornton:
http://www.fwthornton.co.uk/3.html

Not the cheapest, but they have excellent quality stock.

I see you are in East Sussex, FYI there is a DLOC monthly evening meeting commencing in April at The Lamb in Piltdown - details in the current DM and also future copies.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

alan la10

Post by alan la10 »

hi thanks richard will look into that tommorrow thanks alan

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Hello Alan and welcome, for gaskets and other parts try Derek Sleigh or David Beales both advertise in the DLOC magazine.
If you haven't got a copy you can send me a message and I will send their details.
Derek is usually available on the phone before 10am and it is easiest to contact David Beales through his ebay shop. He goes by the name Daimler boy.
I'm sure Alan Wheatley would love to know more about your car especially with it being off the road so long.
If you don't have copies of the parts book and operator's manual they are available to club members as a digital download.
I'm sure many on the forum would love to see some photos.
Marcel.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Marcel Renshaw wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:47 am I'm sure Alan Wheatley would love to know more about your car especially with it being off the road so long.
Marcel.
Alan is the registrar for LA10 and I have let him know about this topic.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Although the parts catalogue shows a different part number for the inlet and exhaust valves, they are the same item. Tranco no. 487. These were unique to the Lanchester 10 and Daimler 15. Unfortunately, in the past 9 years or so, I have been unable to trace any new ones and so far no-one has offered to make any new.

Previous witterings from me here :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=643&hilit=valves

If you have a set of valves, albeit worn, the best thing at present is to face them up as well as you can and handle with care.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I believe Thorntons have managed to supply the required valve.
I purchased 12 valves last year new old stock and I am sure a friend has a similar amount that he has purchased in recent years.
The thing with spares is you need to go back to dealers regularly as they buy in stock often a week after it was needed.
I have had collets manufactured as these do seem hard to find.
With regard to getting parts manufactured it isn't the manufacturing that is the issue it's getting people to put their money into a project and agreeing to buy if the parts are made.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thorntons advise they have no stock left.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi try Cox & Turner Engineeing located at Tintinhull Somerset
Tel 01935 826816
I live about a mile away , but st this time I. am currently in Perth SW Australia 😂☀️☀️

Best wishes. Al 😊😊

alan la10

Post by alan la10 »

Simon Hyslop wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:00 pm Although the parts catalogue shows a different part number for the inlet and exhaust valves, they are the same item. Tranco no. 487. These were unique to the Lanchester 10 and Daimler 15. Unfortunately, in the past 9 years or so, I have been unable to trace any new ones and so far no-one has offered to make any new.

Previous witterings from me here :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=643&hilit=valves

If you have a set of valves, albeit worn, the best thing at present is to face them up as well as you can and handle with care.
hi simon thanks for information i have now got the valves from f w thorton a son ltd just got to sort the washers now thanks alan