Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pair of SP250 or saloon cylinder heads

timmartin

Pair of SP250 or saloon cylinder heads

Post by timmartin »

I am looking for a pair of cylinder heads for my SP250 in good enough condition for Russ and Andrew Carpenter to restore to first class condition. I believe that saloon heads would be OK.

My existing heads have been skimmed a bit too much in the past and have too much porosity in the wrong places.

Thank you.
Tim
Blue 1964 SP250 in Berkshire

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Pair of SP250 or saloon cylinder heads

Post by John-B »

I often wonder what Phil Glennerster did with his spares. He retired in 2016 but used to have a set of heads ready to swap to save time, which he did for my Dart.
Phil Glennerster (SP250) http://www.autotecsp250.com Tel. +44 (0) 118 9340927 (retired 2016)
I don't know whether the above phone number or webpage now works.
He used to deal with Barry Thorne, so perhaps Barry took all his spares. tel. 01306 711789 mobile: 07885 882416 http://sp250.com/home/

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Thank you John - Barry and Russ are already talking to each other and on the case.

But that does not mean that we have stopped looking!

I apologise for my incorrect use of the Forum on this matter. Thank you too for correcting my entries so quickly.
Tim

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I have two in reasonable condition. I don’t think they’ve been skimmed but will check and send you photos. I’m away from home this weekend but will get them out on my return.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

I have a couple of heads from a saloon engine. It was used at a college for students to practice rebuilding engines. I donot know if the heads where skimmed but if someone would let me know what the thickness when the heads were new.
Regards
Colin

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Thank you Graham and Colin.

Colin, if you could manage photos of the gasket and combustion chamber side of each, it is remarkable what Russ and Andrew can tell just by looking at them. (Sorry if it turns out to be troublesome).
Tim

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Tim
The heads are with my Mechanic. I will be seeing him on Tuesday and if I can I will take some photographs. However the engine refurbisher of the dart rejected them in favour of the original heads so I do not know the reason. If you can get the measurement that may tell us more of it's history. The engine was used at a college for the students to practice on and some of the work on other parts of the engine need scrutiny so do not get your hopes up.
Let me know the information
Regards

Colin

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Checked the heads this morning. They have been well skimmed so are probably no better than yours.
Sorry
Colin

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Thank you, Colin.
I continue to keep my fingers crossed that some will turn up...
Tim

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »