Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

steering box oil plug for E20

headlight37

steering box oil plug for E20

Post by headlight37 »

hello everyone!

Perhaps someone can help me with a oil plug for the steering box, because mine is worn out. (No.: 270906).
Maybe I have some luck. Alternatively we would have to create a replacement lock.

Many thanks in advance and greetings from Thuringia!
Jörn

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: steering box oil plug for E20

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Hello, is there any chance of photo?
Many thanks Marcel.

headlight37

Post by headlight37 »

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for responding to the search. Now we finally have photos.
The screw head was glued on provisionally, so that it finds hold first of all.
Therefore, photos of the thread are difficult, because the reattachment of the screw head is still less secure.
Would the diameter of the screw head be helpful?
Many thanks!
Jörn
Attachments
20190902_231814.jpg
20190902_231334.jpg

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Just a thought. Why not remove the oil plug and replace it with a rubber bung as a temporary measure until you have a new oil plug manufactured. Then at least you have the original part available for reference. All the best, Ranald

headlight37

Post by headlight37 »

Thank you very much for the idea,
so I will probably proceed first of all, since oil must be refilled promptly. The steering has a lot of "play" which makes the handling over 40 miles very unsafe. Possibly also components of the steering gear must be reworked.
It is always interesting and exciting!
Many greetings
Jörn

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

It's highly likely that the thread is BSP ( British Standard Pipe). Blanking plugs can easily be obtained on places like eBay for around £3-4 with either an hexagon head or Allen key head.
The thing to know when measuring pipe threads is that the size relates to the bore of the pipe and not the diameter of the thread so you will need to look up a thread table. Alternatively let me know the diameter and I will tell you the size.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, The play in the steering might be improved by removing a shim from the back cover of the steering box. Do you have a Bishop Gear box? You might be interested in a replacement part designed by Vintage MG Parts (http://www.vintagemgparts.com/bishop_cam.html). There are companies around who will recondition these boxes. Of course, the steering must be looked at as a whole, i.e. all moving parts......ball joints, king pins, track rods. If everything else works as it should, the steering play might not seem so bad. Regards, Ranald

headlight37

Post by headlight37 »

Hello, Ranald,

thank you very much for your very valuable tips, which help us a lot.
I think I can decipher that it is a BURMANN patent due to the multiple colour coatings of the steering box. The adjustment possibilities seem to be more limited. In the coming week we are going to open the box and have a look. I'll be happy to get back to you, perhaps with new questions.
Many thanks for all your help and support!

Jörn

saratim

Post by saratim »

Personally, I think it’s a staple to have a set of good quality Allen wrenches in your toolbox. They make your life easier to drive bolts and screws because of their hex-shaped heads. It may just seem like a simple shaped piece of metal but it is proven to be very useful in my life. The ones I bought from https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/A ... s/1714.htm have the best quality, they are available on their website. Not only is their quality great but, they have a variety of sizes as well. It’s easier to lose individual wrenches so I would suggest buying a full set because it makes organizing them very easy as well. Worth every penny.