Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1934 Lanchester LA10 Flexible Brake Pipes

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

1934 Lanchester LA10 Flexible Brake Pipes

Post by JT7196 »

Hi and a Very Happy New Year to one and all .
My question is, has anybody managed to obtain new Flexible Brake Pipes for a Lanchester LA10 ?
I have been in touch with BF Goodrich , who have been very helpful, but are struggling to produce the correct Thread for the Connections ,
Has anybody managed to purchase some from another source ?
I have seen Flexible Brake Pipes on e Bay for Daimlers etc, would these also fit the LA10 I wonder, I look forward to your views

Best wishes, Al ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: 1934 Lanchester LA10 Flexible Brake Pipes

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

If you let me know what thread you need I will compare with the DB18 ones I have.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Google "Flexolite" I believe they copy your pattern.
Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Nick , firstly Happy New Year!
Hi not sure off hand what thread they are , Iโ€™ ll need to find out .
Cheers Al ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello Al, we may have been here before so apologies if this is repetition. The hoses on these Lanchesters should, I think, use the same threads as on the 30s Triumphs because they use the same basic components. This advert on ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-DOLO ... XQzH9SE64T

is for a set of three hoses so the chap who makes them must know the threads to use. The only difference would be in the lengths. The front hoses for the Lanchester are 12 1/2" and the rear one is 18 1/2", measured end to end. These would correspond to Lockheed part numbers 23726 (12 1/2") and 23732 (18 1/2"). The ones shown in the ad. should be 23728 which are 14 1/2". The Lockheed catalogue I have from the late 40s is noticeably deficient in details for the 32-34 Lanchester parts so if anyone knows any better, this would be a good time to share that information.

The front hoses for an MG TA and TB should also be 23726 and these should be off the shelf from quite a number of suppliers, such as this one :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Flexi- ... SwNRdX5U4V

The rear of larger pre war Morrises (16 hp upwards) should also use a 23732.

The post war Daimlers (and Lanchesters) use Girling components which have hoses getting on for half the diameter of the Lockheed pre war type.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Al,

I was in need of new brake pipes for my 1933 Daimler 15 too. Goodridge wasn't able to deliver flexible brake pipes made of stainless steel with the needed fittings / screw thread.

But there's another company in Germany which is able to "tailor" new stainless steel flexible brake pipes coated with an ancient looking matt black plastic cover tube and stainless steel fittings. Included in the set are aluminium and copper sealing rings. The fittings with the right screw thread have the type no. 901 and are exactly the same as the original ones in shape, thread, length and so on, as you can see on the attached pictures.

Together with the new flexible brake pipes you get the technical expertise for the licensing office / MOT.

The named company is

probrake GmbH
Fritz-Schieler-Strasse 3
79331 Teningen
Germany

phone: +49 7641 9570444
email: info@probrake.de
web: www.probrake.de

Regards
Rolf

P.S.: The old ones are the ones with the thick rubber tubes and the new stainless steel ones are with the thin black hose.
Attachments
DSCN6371A.JPG
DSCN6373A.JPG
DSCN6375A.JPG