Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 copper head gasket

captain bobo

Daimler 15 copper head gasket

Post by captain bobo »

Within the last couple of months one of the forum members posted pictures of the copper head gasket that he had made for his 2166cc Daimler 15 engine showing it fitted to the block.

I need the same gasket but can't find the posting. Can anyone remember the post? If the poster reads this can he give me the details of where he had it made up? Any idea what it might cost to have fabricated?

Here's hoping!
Best wishes, Dave B

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Daimler 15 copper head gasket

Post by watkindj »

Dave the only posting on here for a fifteen head gasket was from "Petelang" here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=141
Last edited by watkindj on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Dave having copper head gasket made was talked of on old forum;

http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/topic.a ... ead,gasket

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Hi Dave.
Yes, it was me. But in fact, I had a shim made in Stainless steel, painted in copper paint. This was to make up the lost material when the block was planed a little too enthusiastically.
I used a composite head Gasket in combination.
However, Graham Butler has just had solid copper head gaskets made as both of us are unsure as to the composite gaskets.
I now have oil leaking out of the sandwich layer of the Gasket down side of the engine (and probably into the cylinders) as it creates a lot of blue smoke cold) so will most likely be doing the job again with one of these copper gaskets.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Ah, thanks Pete, My memory ain't what it used to be. I have a similar problem caused by an over enthusiastic head flattening by a local company. Sorry to hear that your shim idea didn't work.

Do you happen to know how I might contact Graham? If yes, please could you send me a private mail?

Thanks in advance!
Best wishes, Dave B

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Anyone wishing to contact Graham Butler regarding head gaskets please send me a message and I'll forward his details.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Hi Marcel, sent you an email after the AGM, did you see it? Might have gone into your spam folder I suspect.

Mark

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Graham Butler has a spare copper head gasket 3mm thick for anyone who has had the block machined. Thinner gaskets will also be available on request.

Little-polly

Post by Little-polly »

Beales engineering has done quite a bit of work on head gaskets and may have one in stock. Certainly worth a try!
John

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The ones David does I feel sure won't cater for cars which have had the block decked. His composite gaskets for the 15 have from experience issues of allowing oil to leak out between the block and head. This may be a problem caused by the minimal amount out of metal between bores, waterways and oil galleries. The post war cars especially the DB18 have more material in them.
For cars which have had both the block and head/heads faced copper gaskets may be the best solution.