Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36air cleaners

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: DE36air cleaners

Post by theoldman »

Thing is, John, you can't just walk in to H.A. Fox and get 'em off the shelf, can you?

We've talked about prices for "unobtainium" in the past and it's really a case of if you want them, you have to pay for them.

IMHO (shipping excepted - that is dear) the price is reasonable taking in to account the availability. If there were 10 known to be available, then obviously the price would be expected come down.

Having said all that, the filters are not essential to the running of thr car - only the originality is spoiled as you can get a proprietary pancake filter to do the same job.

The big question comes when the part required IS essential for the running of the car. How much to keep your car on the road? If, say, your worm axle fails - how much for a new worm and wheel? £2000??? The alternative is a non - runner for ever..........................same for water pumps, brake drums etc etc.
Normal for Norfolk

Roark

Post by Roark »

I take your point about the unobtainable part/price . I have tried looking for pancake air filters but those that I could find were the type that bolted to a flange as those that fit SU and Stromberg carburettors do. The downdraft carburettors on a DE36 have just a round aperture over which the original air cleaners would fit.

Roark

Re: DE36 air cleaners

Post by Roark »

Interestingly the handbook refers to these as "air intake silencers" which, I suppose, is another feature of these items. Studying the two I have I note that there doesn't appear to be any way of dismantling them or removing anything inside that acts as a filter. How does one clean them and what is inside the two parts? There is nothing in the handbook which refers to them apart from their description.

I have written to a couple of companies, with photographs, asking if they have any solutions to this problem and I await their reaction. I have even considered asking an exhaust company if they could fabricate something.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Fwiw, the value is what you want to pay. On the other hand, the market for this item is very small as you know, so maybe let it finish then make an offer.

Life's a gamble.

Carriage will be significant, but you can at least be mobile, even if a little shabby this summer.

Good luck

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you for your replies gentlemen. I had thought of waiting for the auction to runs its course and see if the chap will take an offer and leave me to arrange the carriage.