Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

H3 carburitor

DW1900

H3 carburitor

Post by DW1900 »

I am looking for an 13/8” H3 SU carburitor as fitted to the DB18 sports special. Not to worried about the condition.

Regards Dave W

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: H3 carburitor

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Dave, As you perhaps know, the H3 like the HV4 is a rare beast and like gold dust. I looked for over a year here and elsewhere before I was lucky and a Club/forum members sold me at a very reasonable price a badly corroded HV4 which I have managed to salvage, not at all perfect cosmetically but it will do for now. What I found was only a few Daimlers used these carbs in single form, most other makes, Bentley Alvis and MG use twins so they were mainly advertised in pairs at hefty prices £1,000 plus.

I was considering much later carbs which can be made to fit but finding a 1 3/8" is the problem, but Burlens do list some .

Best of luck with your search. Syd

DW1900

Post by DW1900 »

Thanks Syd.
I have been looking for just over a year, just thought I would give the forum another go, as there are new members all the time.

Regards

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Just wondered what bit of the carb you needed ? (I take it’s for a Barker ss ?)

DW1900

Post by DW1900 »

A complete carburitor. My Sports Special was fitted with a single carb and manifold, presumably from a saloon. But fitted with one of the original sports special 1 3/8 H3 carbs instead of the original 1 1/2 from the saloon. Hence the car is incredibly underpowered.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Ok, that’s a novel approach.

So, do you have all if the parts to revert to twin carbs ??

If not, might be easier that go for a 1 1/2 inch carb set up like a Consort.

Pics would be helpful

DW1900

Post by DW1900 »

I have got a pair of 1 1/2 H4 s from a Wolsey and have made up an inlet manifold. Also an air filter manifold and using an air filter from another Daimler, not sure which car it came from.

I am experimenting with SU on which size needles to use, the original Wolsey ones are a bit rich. I can get the engine to run, and revs nicely, but lacks take up when in gear. Also it ticks over very fast, about 2000 rpm and I can’t get it to slow down. This would suggest that air is getting in somewhere. Yet to be solved. Work in progress.