Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Consort rear shock link

GrahamH

Consort rear shock link

Post by GrahamH »

Hi all
Has anyone got a serviceable rear shock absorber link I can purchase, one on mine is perfect and the other shot, don’t really want to pay £100+

Cheers

Graham
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Consort rear shock link

Post by Db n j »

Graham,

Not sure where you got the quote of £100plus per link ??

I doubt any second-hand ones are worth fitting, but cant believe they are that expensive to get re-rubbered either.

Can be cheaper if the pins are servicable, I believe ?

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Google Vintage and Classic Shock Absorbers. They are in South Croydon. Give them a ring I think they can do them at reasonable cost.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Sorry I didn’t type that correctly they are £110 per pair reconditioned, that’s provided the original ones are serviceable, I’ll phone up and ask the company you suggested

Cheers

Graham
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,

Many years ago, I lost the rear shock absorber link on my DB18 Special Sports.
Our DB 18 registrar luckily had a spare from a saloon chassis he had stripped for spares and my mechanic used a modern rubber (or maybe even the correct hardness nylothane) bush to renew the spare linkage and then drilled and tapped the stud so that it could not slide off with use.

It has held without trouble for probably 18 years or so. During that period, for at least the first 15 years the car was regularly used over roads of varying condition and no problems.

Maybe be a "get out of gaol" card if you are stuck for a replacement link?

Cheers
Peter Grant

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

The rubbers for these links are available from David Beales and are straight forward to fit but you may need a press or at least a Good vice.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

How did you get on with Vintage and Classic Shock Absorbers?

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"