Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 wanted...

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP250 wanted...

Post by Fossil »

Ian

One more long term owner's views: my first SP was an A, from 1970 to 76. My second a B, from 1981 until now. Both cars were everyday cars for a time, and covered long distances regularly in the UK in England and Scotland in all seasons and weathers. An A is definitely faster because it is significantly lighter, although it does feel somewhat less solid. My B is very solid, much more so than the A, which felt fairly loose and rattly on poor roads. Scuttle shake can be a serious problem in an A if the front wheels are not carefully balanced. With a good engine any SP will cruise effortlessly at 95 for hours. If you are easy on the loud pedal and don't exceed 60 mph anywhere you can get up to 35 mpg from an A, but perhaps no more than 30 in a B. An overdrive is more relaxing on longer runs and will improve mpg but is not essential otherwise.

I've fitted rack & pinion and a diaphragm clutch to my current car because of age and health issues, if you are younger (<60) and averagely fit the standard steering, clutch and gear change should not be a challenge. In normal circumstances I would not replace a good standard steering box if the steering box and other components are good and the car is directionally stable on the open road, it is as good if not better than R+P.

If you can the ideal would be to test drive one of each before deciding.

Happy hunting

Geoff

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Nick - I'm very happy to hear evidence of just how flexible the 250 engine is. I had a similar experience 35 years ago while running a wreck of a Triumph Spitfire. The clutch would only last 2 or 3 gear changes before giving up - I had to do 40 miles stuck in 3rd gear. Roundabouts were tricky!

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Sputnik wrote:Nick - I'm very happy to hear evidence of just how flexible the 250 engine is. I had a similar experience 35 years ago while running a wreck of a Triumph Spitfire. The clutch would only last 2 or 3 gear changes before giving up - I had to do 40 miles stuck in 3rd gear. Roundabouts were tricky!
I drove from Bristol to London mainly on A roads before most of the M4 was built, in the fog and around country lane diversions with a clutch that would barely disengage. I soon learnt to change gear without the clutch by just getting the revs right. I was driving to Ben Mason's garage in Edmonton to have the clutch repaired.

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Geoff Douglas wrote:Ian

One more long term owner's views: .......//........If you can the ideal would be to test drive one of each before deciding.

Happy hunting

Geoff
Geoff, thank you for an interesting read. I'll certainly do what I can to try both A and B.

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

John-B wrote:
I drove from Bristol to London mainly on A roads before most of the M4 was built, in the fog and around country lane diversions with a clutch that would barely disengage. I soon learnt to change gear without the clutch by just getting the revs right. I was driving to Ben Mason's garage in Edmonton to have the clutch repaired.
Yep, rev matching is the only way to go once the clutch dies. It's surprising how quickly the gear change note can be learned and consistently acted upon.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I realise that Leeds is a fair treck, Ian, but if you fancy a look and sample of a 1960 A spec that has had B spec chassis upgrades and an overdrive fitted then you may want to contact me.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

And I'm in South Cheshire if you want to try a 1961 B spec with R and P steering and no O/D and no servo (but standard brakes that work)
Try before you buy even !!
H
Over 50 years in Darts !