Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 1

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
bakerp
Site Admin

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 1

Post by bakerp »

Welcome to the new DLOC web forum

The forum is currently still being tested and improved, if you have any suggestions or feedback please post it in this thread.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Forum Suggestions & Feedback

Post by John-B »

Looking good! There are extensions and add-ons to a phpBB forum that might be useful to implement in the future, like a Justification entry on the registration which might help recognise those who deserve membership and distinguish those who might be spammers. The phpBB website has a link to Extensions - hundreds of them for security, styles, features, admin improvements and so on.

You may also want to set the registration to admin approval rather than allow people to become members able to post immediately as you may get spammers posting unwanted posts. That method does make more work for the Admin but if there's trouble it might have to be introduced for a short period. At the moment the registration procedure seems to be the most convenient for Admin and new applicants; each level of tightening security means more inconvenience for Admin and applicants, until with Admin Approval the Administrator has to be available several times a day and applicants have to wait for him! However, it is useful to allow members of the old forum to register without delay, until the first spammers arrive!

You could also put a required field on the registration form for a real name and then set the members' list and profiles invisible to non-members as some people don't like their real names being visible to hackers and con-men.

Brilliant so far!
Last edited by John-B on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

bakerp
Site Admin

Post by bakerp »

Thanks for the feedback, all good points.

Working on a keep it simple process currently but we can certainly add features as need dictates. The "real name" criteria had already crossed my mind and would certainly add something to the forum.

Any sections you think might be missing or useful that we haven't added yet?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

bakerp wrote:Any sections you think might be missing or useful that we haven't added yet?
A link to the dlcentre.com forum! If the data cannot be transferred, then a link to the old forum could be listed as a forum link. The old forum would then be closed to new posts and registrations, just Read Only.

Also, a link to the DLOC.org.uk page http://www.dloc.org.uk/

I notice that I can't send an email; this facility may be useful for members only as people often don't log in and see a private message for weeks. The option to send emails for private messages is an option in each member's control panel, Board Preferences, Notification Options, edit Notification options, Someone sends you a Private Message, Email checkbox unchecked as default and most members won't know to check it. It's not a board-wide option.
Last edited by John-B on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I agree we must have admin sign on members and not just any one as I know we will be swamped within days with the normal trouble makers. This will be vital to the smooth running on here.
I deal daily with this problem on the old site.

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Please take care to update phpBB regularly with the latest version to avoid the spammers et other troubles.

Good luck
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a froggy, nobody is perfect

1934 BSA three wheeler - 1968 Daimler 250 V8 - 1993 Daimler XJ40 Majestic LWB

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Seems all OK to me.

Would it be possible to add a link in each post as it gets posted that allows the person browsing the post to send the poster a PM? I can't see where to send PMs.

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Something like this (from another forum that I use).
Also, a link to reply to a post quoting the current post
Something like these:
forumpost.jpg
forumpost.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Hi,
Another suggestion but please don't think I'm being critical, just trying to make constructive suggestions to improve ease of use.
On the forum home page, under the Last Post column, it includes the reference to the topic. This isn't really very useful information because it can only show the latest and take up one line of the screen so you get fewer forums on the same screen requiring more mouse work. Can you try it without that line? See if it improves the presentation or if it makes it too compressed? I'm basing this comment on the other forum where this line is not shown and you get more forums to your screen.
Thanks.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Also, suggest the Save Draft and Submit buttons are reversed. Most times people will submit and not save the draft and as you tend to work left to right it would make more sense (to me) if the first button is the submit button. On the last post I hit save draft because I didn't read it properly and assumed wrongly it was submit.
Thanks again.