Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 1

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Forum Suggestions & Feedback

Post by Chris_R »

watkindj wrote:
Chris_R wrote:Hi, I'd like to suggest that the ebay link forum is confusing.
If a Daimler is for sale on ebay where do you post it? In the for cars for sale forum? Or in the ebay forum? Or in both. One for sale and one wanted forum is quite enough. Anything more just adds confusion. The ebay links forum should be deleted.
simple if its for sale on ebay it goes in the ebay section

where as forum members adverts and classifieds go in the cars for sale section
Darren, is that why you posted a Majestic Major for sale in both forums and linked the second one to the first?

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

yes my apologies i found it somewhat confusing to start with
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I still think it's unnecessary to have the extra for sale location. What is special about selling on ebay versus anywhere else?
If one for ebay, why not one for auction houses as well? Or one for the CarandClassic web site? If a member puts an advert in a classified advertisement and also puts it on ebay it still satisfies the criteria for both forums. You perhaps see the classified ad so post a thread on the for sale forum. I see the ebay advert and so I post a thread on the ebay forum. Result: duplication and confusion. Where does someone respond to the thread? Even with the single forum of today we still get duplication of threads.
I think all the for sale items should be in the same place. If there is to be any split, it should be one forum for cars for sale and a separate one for parts and accessories. That would make more sense than the current set of forums.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Chris_R wrote: I think all the for sale items should be in the same place. If there is to be any split, it should be one forum for cars for sale and a separate one for parts and accessories. That would make more sense than the current set of forums.
I agree Chris that would make sense to have cars and parts separated
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

we could eventually have a sticky in the technical section promoting Wiring Diagrams, Handbooks and factsheets

The factsheets we could download from the D&LOC for free, The Wiring diagrams in colour which are available to buy through the club and promote also that the club supply printed handbooks and workshop manuals.

and maybe provide an electronic archive of club magazine
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

As you can see, the forum layout has been revised. What do you think of it?

The main purpose of this forum is to discuss technical matters so the general forums should be lower down as they often are in other forums and are in the old dlcentre.com forum.

Someone mentioned that the forum spacing is very wide so we need to keep the popular ones high up. The Chat forum has been busy but that may not always be the case and it's all general stuff and on most forums it's near the bottom,

There were a huge number of jokes on the old forum so I think we will need a separate forum for those.

The Adverts forums are always busy. John H and I are still undecided whether to merge Cars & Parts for Sale with eBay. Chris_R thinks that splitting eBay and Cars for sale is confusing but watkindj disagrees, comments please.

The Photo Album is popular but isn't technical so we've left that lower down.

Big A'l requested a section for Suppliers, so that's been added.

We could put some forums as sub-forums of other forums but that means an extra click to reach them and then they would be slightly out of site, so at the moment there aren't sub-forums.

Big A'l wondered whether we will change to the Jensen forum (also phpBB), Kevin Monk suggested we could learn from the Scimitar forum. John H and I haven't got permission to change the style.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

John-B wrote:As you can see, the forum layout has been revised. What do you think of it?

The Adverts forums are always busy. John H and I are still undecided whether to merge Cars & Parts for Sale with eBay. Chris_R thinks that splitting eBay and Cars for sale is confusing but watkindj disagrees, comments please.

Big A'l wondered whether we will change to the Jensen forum (also phpBB), Kevin Monk suggested we could learn from the Scimitar forum. John H and I haven't got permission to change the style.
I Think and Chris-R will agree (see recent posts above) that we should have a cars for sale section and parts for sale section and drop eBay as we didn't need ebay on the old forum but would be better to separate cars and parts

With regards to A'l comments there is a huge choice of styles and this should be addressed as people have stated that this style is to wide maybe a choice given to members of the forum and then vote on best option ?
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Sometimes less is more. Fewer forums make it easier to use.
I definitely agree with just one place for cars and one for parts. I looked back through the thread and didn't see the comment from Al about Suppliers. Is "Suppliers & Parts For Sale" the place where we can also sell unwanted suppliers? Does anyone have an unwanted supplier?
I don't quite understand the meaning of the forum title.

The reason this style is too wide is each forum entry takes 3 lines, when 2 is sufficient. You don't need the title of the thread with the latest post, it doesn't really give you any additional useful information. Removing that one line will allow more forums to be on one screen.

With regard to styles (I haven't looked at the Scimitar forum), the JOC forum has a choice of 4 styles, one of which is the default. If anyone looked at it, I actually don't know which layout you saw because I have chosen my own style and I'm not sure which is the default. Each member can set their own choice from the 4 available on the User Control Panel.
Therefore, I suggest administrators of this forum don't need permission to change the style, what they need to do if they want to do this is make available an additional style or styles and then to add a selection option on the User Control Panel. This style can remain as the default.
Last edited by Chris_R on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Chris_R wrote: The reason this style is too wide is each forum entry takes 3 lines, when 2 is sufficient. You don't need the title of the thread with the latest post, it doesn't really give you any additional useful information. Removing that one line will allow more forums to be on one screen.

With regard to styles (I haven't looked at the Scimitar forum), the JOC forum has a choice of 4 styles, one of which is the default. If anyone looked at it, I actually don't know which layout you saw because I have chosen my own style and I'm not sure which is the default. Each member can set their own choice from the 4 available on the User Control Panel.
Therefore administrators of this forum don't need permission to change the style, what they need to do if they want to do this is make available an additional style or styles and then to add a selection option on the User Control Panel. This style can remain as the default.
We can't change the three lines into two unless we change the style and I think all styles do the same as it's a phpBB standard.

John H and I don't have permissions to add a range of styles for you to choose except the phpBB ProSilver default which we could give you the option to use. You would have to ask bakerp the top Admin.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I suppose in that case the administrator of the other forum must have changed the style, it doesn't display that line, even on the prosilver style. It's difficult, I don't want to suggest turning this forum into a clone of another one (unless that is what people would like), if all forums were the same it would be boring.