Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 1

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
John-B
Site Admin

Re: Forum Suggestions & Feedback

Post by John-B »

Chris_R wrote:I suppose in that case the administrator of the other forum must have changed the style, it doesn't display that line, even on the prosilver style. It's difficult, I don't want to suggest turning this forum into a clone of another one (unless that is what people would like), if all forums were the same it would be boring.
Sorry, I was wrong. I've found the checkbox to make the three lines into two, so I'll leave it as two for a while but may add back the subject of the last added post.

Note: if the third line with the subject isn't there, you can click a red circle or the small orange square between a red circle and the subject to see unread posts.

Also, it's always possible to manually edit the background code, I've done it on my practice forum but I haven't got permission to edit the code here.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I like the revision. I hope others do too.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I think it is all coming together quite well - certainly feels easier to use. Thanks to all for the hard work I know is going in to this.

My only gripe is the header - I know it's been pointed out before, but it looks really amateur. Sorry! I'd settle for the pictures and text being in focus, but if we could do something better, perhaps more colour, less background grey and white, I think it would look much more attractive.

That comment notwithstanding, I do think we've got something fit for purpose, and easy to use as well.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

marchesmark wrote:My only gripe is the header - I know it's been pointed out before, but it looks really amateur. Sorry! I'd settle for the pictures and text being in focus, but if we could do something better, perhaps more colour, less background grey and white, I think it would look much more attractive.
Not guilty

I'd prefer a simple photo of a car with the Driving Member to one side but John H and I aren't allowed to alter the header.

Ideally a photo of a Daimler Straight Eight or the Double Six in this month's DM which I think is fabulous. Such a long bonnet, imagine driving that in heavy traffic around tight corners.
Daimler_Double-Six.JPG
Daimler_Double-Six.JPG (79.21 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Wikipedia Commons image;
Subject:Daimler Double Six 40/50 (1932), bodied by Gurney Nutting Coachbuilders, designed by Martin Walter to look as if it had a lowered chassis to the order of Herbert Wilcox for actress and film star Anna Neagle later re-engined with a Buick power unit Date:April 27th, 2008
Event:Concorso d’Eleganza”Villa d’Este” 2008
Place/Country: Cernobbio (CO), Italy
Source Own work
Author Luc106

Something like this (which didn't have a Driving Member as far as I know)?
Daimler_Double-Six1000x205.jpg
Daimler_Double-Six1000x205.jpg (53.11 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
or this (which did have a Driving Member)?
Daimler_DB_18_(1947)1000x205.jpg
Daimler_DB_18_(1947)1000x205.jpg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

John-B wrote:
marchesmark wrote:My only gripe is the header - I know it's been pointed out before, but it looks really amateur. Sorry! I'd settle for the pictures and text being in focus, but if we could do something better, perhaps more colour, less background grey and white, I think it would look much more attractive.
Not guilty

I'd prefer a simple photo of a car with the Driving Member to one side but John H and I aren't allowed to alter the header.

Ideally a photo of a Daimler Straight Eight or the Double Six in this month's DM which I think is fabulous. Such a long bonnet, imagine driving that in heavy traffic around tight corners.
Daimler_Double-Six.JPG
(Wikipedia Commons image;
Subject:Daimler Double Six 40/50 (1932), bodied by Gurney Nutting Coachbuilders, designed by Martin Walter to look as if it had a lowered chassis to the order of Herbert Wilcox for actress and film star Anna Neagle later re-engined with a Buick power unit Date:April 27th, 2008
Event:Concorso d’Eleganza”Villa d’Este” 2008
Place/Country: Cernobbio (CO), Italy
Source Own work
Author Luc106
We could have car of the month topic as they do on Magazine. The Rover forum that I'm a member of as I have a pre production Rover 75 (1999) see link
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.p ... nth_nov_14
in that way its like a gallery only entries are submitted to admin then chosen and it gives you more info on a car than just a picture and agree more colour would be better but styles will have to come from admin but I agree with Mark something in focus would be a start.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Just a further suggestion based on what I think we had on the old forum.

Please can the active topics be shown sorted under each board heading.

Thanks to those doing the work.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

simonp wrote:Just a further suggestion based on what I think we had on the old forum.
Please can the active topics be shown sorted under each board heading.
SimonP
I haven't found a way to do that. I can only suggest that you look at the Topics on the left of the Active Topics page where the forum is shown under the subject, or go straight to the forum that interests you and look at the Last Post column on the right.

I've looked at the phpBB extensions list but there's nothing relevant there.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Thanks for the reply. Maybe you will find a way in the future.
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

John,
going back to an earlier point, is there any chance you can set the system so if you click on a link in a post, that link will then open in a new tab or window? It's a real pain that the link takes over the forum window, as I keep closing the tab when I've read the link, and have to start over!

Otherwise things seem to be settling, other than on my system the forum screen is only occupying the centre half of my browser(s) screen.

Keep up the good work!
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

JohnM wrote:John,
going back to an earlier point, is there any chance you can set the system so if you click on a link in a post, that link will then open in a new tab or window? It's a real pain that the link takes over the forum window, as I keep closing the tab when I've read the link, and have to start over!
phpbb knowledge base: "Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board."

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1104105

In other words, it needs code edits which I could do but don't have the permission to make! I'll mention it to bakerp but I can't promise anything. For now you will just have to remember to use right click, open in new tab (or window).