Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 1

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
John-B
Site Admin

Re: Forum Suggestions & Feedback

Post by John-B »

Dartagnan wrote:the only difference between this forum and the old one that really bothers me, is the fact that on the old forum when you push the button 'active topics', you get the topics ordered per forum (Daimler, Lanchester & BSA Forums / Daimler Forum; Advertising & Sale / Cars & Parts For Sale eg.).
On this forum you just get a list of new or active topics and no reference to whatever forum it belongs to. (or I haven't figured out how to arrange it).

I think if that could be sorted and this new forum would look exactly like the old one, the number of people accepting it, would be greater.
I haven't found a way to do that. I'm still learning about this forum too. The circle on the left of topics in the forum list is red if there are unread posts, black if they are all read.

Also, between the red circle and the topic title in a topics list there is a little orange square which will lead you to the first unread post, so that may help. The column on the right shows the Last Post, but you may have read some of them.

A red asterisk in a red or black circle just means that you have posted to that topic.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

bakerp wrote:Hi, some great feedback here.

I'll look into the link-in-new-window function as that's something I thought was already in place.

A few things that have been implemented;
  • "Real Name" section added to user registration
  • User registration has been tightened up and incorporates an email verification link
  • User attachment size has been increased to 10mb
I will speak with the board again about transferring data from the old forum

any updates about transferring data from the old forum??
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

bakerp
Site Admin

Post by bakerp »

watkindj wrote:
bakerp wrote:Hi, some great feedback here.

I'll look into the link-in-new-window function as that's something I thought was already in place.

A few things that have been implemented;
  • "Real Name" section added to user registration
  • User registration has been tightened up and incorporates an email verification link
  • User attachment size has been increased to 10mb
I will speak with the board again about transferring data from the old forum

any updates about transferring data from the old forum??
The topic is being raised again at the next board meeting and will be discussed at the spring conference also, I have been informed. For the moment the old forum will not be going off-line and will remain as read only.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Good news about the old forum

Thank you
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Yes VERY! good news
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Hi, I'd like to suggest that the ebay link forum is confusing.
If a Daimler is for sale on ebay where do you post it? In the for cars for sale forum? Or in the ebay forum? Or in both. One for sale and one wanted forum is quite enough. Anything more just adds confusion. The ebay links forum should be deleted.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Further to my previous post, I also submit the Technical Articles forum is also confusing. When do you post something in the Technical Articles forum and when do you post something in the Automobiles Advice or the Daimler or the Lanchester forum? If there is a technical question relating to Daimlers, does it go in the Daimler forum or the Technical Articles forum? Or both? If you are searching for something where do you look? Daimler forum?
There is an opportunity here to simplify. Remove either the Automobiles Advice forum (what does that mean anyway?) or the Technical Articles forum. Or both.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Chris_R wrote:Hi, I'd like to suggest that the ebay link forum is confusing.
If a Daimler is for sale on ebay where do you post it? In the for cars for sale forum? Or in the ebay forum? Or in both. One for sale and one wanted forum is quite enough. Anything more just adds confusion. The ebay links forum should be deleted.
simple if its for sale on ebay it goes in the ebay section

where as forum members adverts and classifieds go in the cars for sale section
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Chris_R wrote:Further to my previous post, I also submit the Technical Articles forum is also confusing. When do you post something in the Technical Articles forum and when do you post something in the Automobiles Advice or the Daimler or the Lanchester forum? If there is a technical question relating to Daimlers, does it go in the Daimler forum or the Technical Articles forum? Or both? If you are searching for something where do you look? Daimler forum?
There is an opportunity here to simplify. Remove either the Automobiles Advice forum (what does that mean anyway?) or the Technical Articles forum. Or both.
Advice is always given in most sections the option of the technical section give us the option of posting a "how to do it" post when it is asked about on a regular basis thus allow forum members to answer and ask more unusual questions also the technical section can utilise ongoing restoration projects which will now be easier to post descriptive images along with the text.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Chris_R wrote:Further to my previous post, I also submit the Technical Articles forum is also confusing. When do you post something in the Technical Articles forum and when do you post something in the Automobiles Advice or the Daimler or the Lanchester forum? If there is a technical question relating to Daimlers, does it go in the Daimler forum or the Technical Articles forum? Or both? If you are searching for something where do you look? Daimler forum?
Noted. I have set out a revised forum layout for discussion but bakerp has been busy and John Hitchins has been without an internet connection.

My suggestion does merge Technical Articles and Automobile Advice and rearrange the forums more like the old forum, but no revision has been agreed yet. Technical Articles could be locked and made Stickies if they don't need replies, or made a sub-forum.