Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

A frustrating day!

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: A frustrating day!

Post by HenryC »

Hi,

I have had similar sounding problems with my EL24. It turned out to be the condenser in the distributor. You haven't mentioned that you have replaced it. Before doing anything else, I would replace it. Available from Distributor Doctor or John Nash (I think) and other online shops.

I've also fitted a new set of points, made life a lot easier to set the gap and gives a nice clean healthy spark.

Until I read this article I hadn't realised how important a condenser was in order to produce a good spark. http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm

Hope this helps, Henry
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Having just bought a 15 I wonder what I have got myself into, those gaps between the cylinders are very narrow.

Hope it all works out for you in the end, sounds like you have thought of everything, in my experience coils are generally reliable and usual work or don't work, but I know they can break down when hot.

On the question of air leaks my car is fitted with a Zenith side draught carb which looks as if it has been there for many years, it starts and runs well with no smoke or condensation from the exhaust. It has the original air cleaner and cast alloy pipework in the usual places, so for now it stays, but I guess for the sake of originality at some time I will hunt for an original carb.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Just to update, it is now running fine, although I have not been far in it.
I have fitted a new condenser, nice new set of plugs, slightly hotter ones, and that seems to have reduced smoking and the new ones are not oiling up quite so much. I fear that removing years of burnt on deposits from valve stems has allowed a little more oil down the stems than is desirable.
It's out at work this Saturday so fingers crossed!
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.