Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Mobile work bench.

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Route 66drivers.com

Mobile work bench.

Post by Route 66drivers.com »

As some of you might know, my garage went up in smoke 2 years ago, with nearly everything burned like a kebab. Anyway, I never had a tool chest before, as all spanners, etc, were neatly hung up - very tidy. However, as the garage is 38 feet long, you might have a long walk to get a spanner. One thing that got burned - but only a bit, was my old RAF dining table, usually used as a cutting table.
I looked and pondered over the swish tool cabinets ( usually red ) but having used one in Florida, do not think they are all that good for the money. So, I remodeled my RAF table to be a mobile bench for small stuff under 4 feet long. Made 3/4 ply back and sides, shelf underneath and 4 braking castors.
The good thing is that the common spanners, pliers, etc, are all to hand without opening anything, AF to the left, metric to the right, etc. Made for about 30 quid. Might be an idea that helps you out if you wanna save money or are tight for space.
Attachments
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 014.jpg
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 014.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 1597 times
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 013.jpg
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 013.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1597 times
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 012.jpg
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 012.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 1597 times
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 011.jpg
M30 front, Flat 3 Bench 011.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1597 times

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Mobile work bench.

Post by NickDeAth »

Very nice Hugo.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

I hate to say it, but I recognized the workshop from the rear roof area.

I think I need to spend less time in the Forum.

Glad to see you here Hugo.

I had a similar problem, but solved it by buying more spanners & screwdrivers & pliers & hammers etc etc

Route 66drivers.com

Post by Route 66drivers.com »

Do you mean the rear roof area thats not quite as burned as it was..haha.
Attachments
Garage fire 2013 -2.jpg
Garage fire 2013 -2.jpg (93.18 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Garage fire 2013.jpg
Garage fire 2013.jpg (45.24 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Hugo,
I really wouldn't recommend where you hang your spectacles. One slip and that's you back to Specsavers!
I agree with you though about those Snap on style tool boxes. Can never find stuff in the (cheap copy) one I have. However, I don't have space enough to wheel anything so comprehensive around in my garage. Still, keeps me fit, going back and forth whenever I need something. Only problem is getting up, when I have just got down, takes so long, by the time I get to the toolbox I've forgotten what I went for!
Old age is no longer fun.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.