Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Manners

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Manners

Post by New Dexter »

Just to re-assure those who read this post it has nothing to do with David Manners but more related to those who use the internet.
I am sure there are many members of this forum who use ebay or even preloved. In the days of Exchange and Mart or the Autotrader there had to be direct contact by telephone.
Now we have the anonymity of the internet. Messages arrive on the screen with people asking questions about the items for sale. Sometimes the questions are sensible but those, for example, that ask "where are you?" when this is shown in the listing are guaranteed to to irritate. Then there are those that send a message asking for a contact number, which is sent and then remain silent.If they are not going to telephone why ask for a number? Perhaps they ask for a photograph or extra photographs and no further messages. Not one word of thanks for the extra photos but with the message that the item is unsuitable or not what they need. Just silence. Would they behave this way if they met some face to face? Possibly not but having met some pig ignorant people at auto jumbles perhaps it's innate in the modern population.
Those that use social media will understand the problem. Post something on You Tube and bet your life someone will post something unpleasant and justify the comment, sometimes using abusive or swearing, all in the certainty that they cannot be identified.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Manners

Post by Phillmore »

I don't think the anonymity of the internet necessarily engenders bad manners, after all we are all polite to each other on here aren't we :)? It does make it easier I suppose but rudeness is all around us. I went to a car boot at the weekend and couldn't resist the smell of fresh cooked bacon! At the bacon/burger stand I stood back and formed the start of a queue behind someone already being served only to have a very rude man push past me and stand at the counter in front of me. When I reminded him that I was the queue he remarked "no one stands back here like that mate"!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Manners

Post by Sydsmith »

Bad manners, rudeness and lack of consideration or kindliness are sadly becoming the norm. How often having given way to an oncoming vehicle out of politeness are we ignored, not even a raised little finger, how often when sitting on a roundabout does someone peel off at the exit before you without indicating, how often when waiting at a turning onto a main road does someone turn in without indication forcing you to wait in vain. Don't even mention tailgating.

What ever happened to young people giving way to old, men giving way to ladies children saying thank you.

We regularly visit the South of Ireland, it takes a day or two to get out of UK grump mode and fall into Irish kindness mode, when we come back we have little option but to fall back into UK grump mode.