Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Enfield Pageant of Motoring

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Enfield Pageant of Motoring

Post by New Dexter »

I have been attending this event for over twenty years, probably more. However, last year and this weekend's event have produced a decision not to go there again.
Possibly five years ago there was plenty to see in the show arena. Interesting cars, some really strange creations and the club stands were just as entertaining.
I would attend on the Saturday, enjoy the auto jumble and then, if there was time, look at the cars. A fellow enthusiast, who could not attend because of work commitments would come with me on the Sunday, a quick look the auto jumble for his benefit and then the cars.
However, last year and this all I could describe the event as being would be a boot fair instead of an auto jumble and some cars.
Last year all we could see were stands selling sweets, bric a brac, jewellery, clothing, toys (especially model cars), garden machinery etc etc. There were, if one were to look closely, some stands selling car parts but they were few and far between. This year it's just the same.
Apparently it had been decided to allow these non-car part sellers to attend as it helps to pay for the event and I suppose it does give children and wives something to look at other than piles of car parts.
Speaking to a stall holder who had been going for as many years as I have, he explained that the man who started the event had been pushed out by the committee that runs EDVVT and they had altered the auto jumble. They had taken out eight, EIGHT, rows of stalls and shortened the runs from 50 to 40. That's an awful lot of stand space to remove.
Will I be going next year? No, probably never again. In the past I have met people who have travelled over a hundred miles to attend and some stall holders who have done the same. There was someone selling number plates who comes from Wednesbury, another selling LED bulbs, cable ties etc and he'd come from Ipswich. Not exactly next door. Yet it's been run down to nothing better than a car boot sale.
Whether the car displays at the event will be better than today who knows. There would be steam traction and showman's engines, none yesterday.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Enfield Pageant of Motoring

Post by Chris_R »

In previous years, how much did you actually buy from the autojumble?
I think this is a sign of the times. Twenty years ago, even perhaps 10 years ago these kinds of events were the main source of various elusive parts. Now there is ebay which has revolutionised that market. You can find all kinds of parts anywhere in the country and in some cases almost anywhere in the world from the comfort of your own armchair. Many traders have woken up to this and sell and trade parts online instead of in a field. It's cheaper for them. At the same time the number of events has ballooned with more than ever events happening up and down the country which dilutes the number and the quality of stands available at any given event. At the same time the organisers of these events are trying to raise money for charity and need to attract people to come along. A difficult task to make it attractive enough to get enough of the public to come. And as cars from the 80s and 90s are now becoming collectable the profile of the classic movement is changing. All these conflicts for organisers to reconcile. Some do it better than others. I quite enjoyed Enfield on the Sunday looking around all the various stalls but what did I buy? Just two books at a pound each. That's not going to sustain a stall holder and pay for their stall, petrol and give them an income!
As for club stands, there was a large Jaguar stand, I didn't see any Daimler stand there so who should have organised that? Certain clubs seem to be more successful in arranging stands and getting cars to turn up, in particular Jaguar, Mercedes and then clubs like Mini, Capri, Austin ADO series, Crayford, there was even a club stand for the Ford Mk4 Zephyr, Zodiac, Executive range - I didn't realise there were enough of those left to even form a club! So where were the Daimlers? I don't think I saw one on the Sunday.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I can confirm Chris's comments from personal experience.

When we started our railway event (July 2nd, if you haven't already submitted an entry!! :o ) we used to get a dozen or so autojumble stalls.
For the past few years we haven't had any.................

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I used to go until the steam events were disallowed because the diesel lorries taking them were banned by the emissions law. The traction engines attracted a large crowd which presumably have cost the event a large income. Its a shame the exemptions cannot be allowed for these events.