Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

OUCH! I've lost a friend.

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Bud

OUCH! I've lost a friend.

Post by Bud »

Let's hope the baby didn't get thrown out with the bath water with this noble experiment just to post pictures easier.
It's a ghost town here since the ACT was COMMITTED

dansdaimler

Re: OUCH! I've lost a friend.

Post by dansdaimler »

I have found myself using both forums for a few weeks now. At first I disliked this one (because it was unformiliar ) but more recently don't mind it except for the format for board index keeps changing. The lack of colour on on said board index probably doesn't help.
We'll get it right soon (I hope) and I can't wait for it to stabilize so it starts to look familiar.
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

dansdaimler wrote:... except for the format for board index keeps changing. The lack of colour on on said board index probably doesn't help.
We'll get it right soon (I hope) and I can't wait for it to stabilize so it starts to look familiar.
That was fat-finger syndrome on a small tablet, sorry, I didn't mean to change anything. The Board chose the style from several samples, so blame them. bakerp has said that the header photo will be changed occasionally and that should add a bit of colour.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

'...noble experiment just to post pictures easier...'

I joined the club 4 years ago, and one of the most common threads then was how the forum was on its last legs, wouldn't it be good when the new one came along etc etc. Now it's here, and the most common thread seems to be complaints about the situation.

This is most definitely not just an experiment to post pictures easier, nor is it a conspiracy to deprive people of the DL Centre for fun. Lest we forget, the old forum was being held together by sticky tape, luck and the heroic efforts of the moderator. Now we have a new one, as we asked for, and we should at least give it a chance, and support the work being done on our behalf. All this negativity, moaning about things that are still a work in progress, is not helping anyone. There is always a choice, as there is for all of us; if you don't like it, vote with your feet. Create your own forum, join another club, go and do some voluntary work. But please let's stop the moaning, it really isn't helping.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Hear hear.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Message to Bud, it could not be said at the time as the situation was worse than people knew as security on the old forum was easy to hack and passwords were being changed and personal details readable bearing in mind some people use the same passwords for every thing. We lost the gallery and emails did not work, everyday we were have spam attacks that were nipped in the bud. So give this a go, as said before if you ever changed from Windows 95 because you needed to update you must accept the change here too and hard work people have put in to make this work.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I was talking to Darren W this morning and offered an opinion that if we didn't get a new forum, we might not have one at all if the hackers managed to "get in" too the old one and corrupt the information therein. That WOULD have been a disaster.

We now have a safer forum hacker - wise and the "old" forum archive safe too, for us to refer to whenever we have the need.

John had, alas, run out of sellotape and string to keep the old one together......................

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

I think we were a lot closer to losing the old forum than some of us realise as there was potential to lose everything.
But thankfully it is now archived for future referral. Lets hope it stays that way.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

As I said on the old forum, change was always going to be painful and no matter what the new one achieved, there was always a fair chance some would hate it and walk.

But we have been assured that the change was needed both for security reasons and for ease of use, we had little option, the bombardment of attacks that have increases relentlessly over the past few years and is an unacceptable legacy of old easy to attack software.

To have persevered with the old forum when it is clear that it was very ill would be like asking the Doctor for medicine then tipping it down the toilet because you don't like the shape of the tablets or the colour of the coating.

I really liked the format of the old forum it was a great layout and easy to use, but like others I have in time got used to the NEW.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I note some people to choose to be hidden on here, why hide? Nothing to be afraid of.