Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 2

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
John-B
Site Admin

Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 2

Post by John-B »

The first topic was getting a bit long so I thought it might be a good idea to start a second topic now that the old forum has just become Read Only.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Forum Suggestions & Feedback - 2

Post by watkindj »

David S has asked in the Daimler forum for info on new starters where to go to find out how to add pictures etc. maybe some of the the stickys from the chat forum section on registering etc need to be at the top of the home page?
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I've moved David S's topic to the Chat forum where there is a sticky giving advice on posting viewforum.php?f=16.

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

Hi John, I posted this link viewtopic.php?f=16&t=187
for the Heritage Newsletter on the Chat Forum but I notice it's disappearing down the page.
JDHT Newsletters are published bi-monthly so might the link be better located in a different area or maybe as a sticky so it can always be accessed?
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

RadfordJim wrote:Hi John, I posted this link viewtopic.php?f=16&t=187
for the Heritage Newsletter on the Chat Forum but I notice it's disappearing down the page.
JDHT Newsletters are published bi-monthly so might the link be better located in a different area or maybe as a sticky so it can always be accessed?
I've moved it to Branch News as that forum isn't very busy.
The trouble with having lots of stickies is that they fill up the screen and the recent posts are below the screen bottom eventually.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

why cant this forum look more like the old one it seem that every topic you visit you have to scroll down as there are stickys at the top or sub forums ?? the old forum you could see the home page with little scrolling.

(yes am aware its a different format but just looks so dull being shades of grey)
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

watkindj wrote:why cant this forum look more like the old one it seem that every topic you visit you have to scroll down as there are stickys at the top or sub forums ?? the old forum you could see the home page with little scrolling.

(yes am aware its a different format but just looks so dull being shades of grey)
I agree about minimising stickys as they push recent non-sticky posts down the page, but all modern forums follow the same pattern of placing stickys at the top where they are more obvious and we can't alter that.

Most people should be able to see the most recent posts below a sub-forum without scrolling down. Some forums will get very busy, Daimler is already getting numerous posts and it makes sense to have some sub-forums to create categories and I've started to split technical issues from historical issues like statistics, stories, owners, etc. The phpBB forums show the sub-forums above other posts and we can't alter that without re-coding the background files. I haven't got permission to do that and I wouldn't be confident in trying it.

I agree that the forum style is a bit boring, but was chosen by the Board. At least it's not too jazzy like some forums. I'm hoping that changes in the header photo will brighten it up, but that's another area which John H and myself can't touch.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

John Hitchins and I have been discussing some proposed changes to the forum layout.

As expected, the Daimler forum is already busy. We propose to split off SP250s/450s and V8s into a separate forum which won't be a sub-forum, it will show on the home page.

We are concerned that the Jokes forum is too prominent, it gives the wrong impression for a forum for technical matters, etc. In the old forum jokes were a single topic with 116 pages inside the General Club Forum which hid it to a certain extent. In the short term we propose to move all the jokes topics into the Chat forum where they will just mix up with other Chat topics, but in the future a single Jokes topic (rather than a separate Jokes forum) could be created to contain all future jokes, like it was on the old forum.

I first thought of simply putting the Jokes forum as a sub-forum of the Chat forum, but unfortunately the phpBB system shows sub-forums above the general topics with a thick black divider which just makes the jokes as prominent as they were before.

The new forum is intended only for SP250s, SP450s and the saloon with the V8 engine.

Older cars and newer Jaguar cars should be in the original Daimler forum.

If you are just browsing, it's useful to click Active Topics, top right of a page, which will show all recent posts regardless of the forum they are posted in.

Any comments?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

John-B wrote: We are concerned that the Jokes forum is too prominent, it gives the wrong impression for a forum for technical matters, etc.

Any comments?
Not sure why you feel the need to hide the joke forum? Surely even Daimler owners are allowed a sense of humour . Who are you worried might get the wrong impression?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Hi Andy, this is a car forum and I was reminded some younger people view this site too, people use the site for car info, the joke section is still there but not so prominent.