Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

P272

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: P272

Post by Ian Slade »

3 phase is no more dangerous than single phase the line to neutral is still 220v it is only the line to line voltage that is 440v, the line to earth voltage is still 240v whereas most single phase line to earth voltage is 120v, all should be protected by an earth leakage device with a maximum current of 30mA. The danger for all electrical installations is between the incoming cable from either the supplier or generator output cables to the earth leakage device. 100A supply is standard for most households and small factory installations, my house in the UK has 100A fuses on each phase even though only one phase is used.
There are two ways round this, decide whether the maximum power you use in any one instant worst case would negate your P272 liability and have the meter replaced to avoid the charges, if this still comes into the P272 regulation then go for a generator based on your worst case use. Diesel engines are constant speed when generating and hate working under no or low loads, they can glaze the bores and when demand is applied stall out, though it seems silly it may work out cheaper to have two generators, having the second cut in either automatically when the demand reaches a certain percentage or a manual start when you decide you require more load. The cost of equipment for multi generator control is now very much cheaper than of old due to the low cost of the electronic modules, some generators may come with this facility included.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: P272

Post by New Dexter »

Ian, Thank you for your comment. I have considered asking my current supplier to remove their meter as it is they who have caused all the problems. They sent me a bill which was paid by direct debit and then a week later wrote referring to a conversation about my arrears which a) never took place and b)a payment plan for an outstanding amount which didn't exist. In the letter they referred to potential credit rating problems if payment was not paid and I sent them a very strongly worded letter.
Last year I contacted them and after much wrangling they agreed to down rate the meter profile from 06 to 03 which meant a cheaper standing charge. Then some prat altered the profile back to 06 and now it's 00 and I will be involved in half hourly metering.
At the moment I have a zero standing charge contract and I am anxious to retain this. Working on my own I don't use much electricity, my most recent bill was £8.95 as all I was using was power for the welder and other hand tools.
What irritates me is that I have enough problems without having to deal with the inefficiency and stupidity of some companies and this unwanted addition of P272.