Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

BBC English, or whatever they think it is

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: BBC English, or whatever they think it is

Post by A.N.Other »

Dear New Dexter,
It appears I may of gone off on a slight tangent earlier. Thank you for the lack of blame. I now see what you are getting at and can agree with your point. I have to agree that there are some things that Make me cringe. The first that comes to mind is a college of mine who insists on saying liccle when explaining a small item.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Friggin hilarious
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I think "text-speak" bears a lot of blame for the decline in English - and the grammar and spelling mistakes in Ebay adverts are almost an entertainment!

Just three mumfs now until Christmas!

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Ebay English is in a world of its own and it's interesting to see how little knowledge of grammar or spelling some people have. "The breaks have been re-built" or the people who think that they have to use an apostrophe for everything. Plural of a word, oh that's easy just add an apostrophe S, that will do. How many people here have seen garage signs which say MOT's.?
I confess to listening to The Archers on a regular basis and I wonder what the editors and writers are playing at these days. Time and again I hear the younger characters say "Me and Jonny" instead of "Jonny and I". Who writes this rubbish? More importantly why do they think it is acceptable?

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Absolutely! But how on earth did the entire world start using "me and xxx" instead of "xxx and I" or even "xxx and me" at the same time?

A teacher of the old school once told me that teachers now did not consider correct spelling to be important, as long as the meaning was clear. Hence break for brake, steal for steel, and so on. Now, not only are universities concerned about new students' standards of basic english and arithmetic, but also their ability to write legibly. Just how incompetent has our education system become?

Re the Beeb, does anyone share my concern about the mis-pronunciation of words that is creeping in in both radio and TV. Not so long ago I could not believe my ears when I heard hyperbole pronounced "hyperbowl" by a contributor to a Radio 4 literary discussion, of all things. I forget just how many other examples I've heard recently. Perhaps we should add other serious examples to this thread as they arise. An increasingly common one appears to be the use of "diffuse" instead of "de-fuse", except when referring to a WWII bomb. Or perhaps it is just another example of slovenly pronunciation?

Cheers

Geoff

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Shouldn't Daimler's motto "smooth as flight" actually be " as smooth as flight"? ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The Daimler I once had was more akin to travelling in the grass-box of a lawnmower!

keithstone

Post by keithstone »

My pet hate is people who say or write disorientated, My school teacher said there was no such word, it is disoriented. Perhaps I should get out more often!

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Shawly disorientated means removal of Eastern inflewence in the English langridge

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Listening to The Archers yesterday evening the last line came from a female cast member "When are US women going to have our own changing room?" Since when does the accusative US take the place of the nominative WE? I refer to my comment where I asked why the writers and editor of the programme consider this correct or even acceptable.
I am listening to Jane Garvey on Woman's Hour as I type this, waiting to see how badly she mangles the English language this morning. I wonder why she thinks it's correct.
Incidentally I have never understood why it isn't Women's Hour.