Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What did I do wrong?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

What did I do wrong?

Post by New Dexter »

Perhaps it should be wrongly?
I am sure some of us have been somewhere doing something innocuous, something simple yet it has incurred someone's wrath.

Earlier this year I was the last one of three cars travelling along a country road. It was dark, there was no-one behind me nor was there anyone coming towards us. In the dark headlights do give an accurate indication of the presence of another vehicle.

We were bumbling along at about 50 mph and we began to slow down and eventually I was able to see that the first car was indicating to turn left into a side lane. The second car simply slowed down. Now remember that there was no-one coming towards us. In light of this I did a simple "mirror, signal manoeuvre" and overtook the second car and thus the first.

Well, one would have thought that WW3 had been declared. The driver of car number two, who must have left his/her brain cell at home took great offence. We had the BBH (big blast of the horn), followed by being followed for several miles with him/her using main beam to express some form of indignation. I did wonder why.

He/she could have decided to overtake the first car as they could see that it was slowing down to turn left. Was that too difficult to comprehend? We were just three cars with no-one in front or behind but because I did something he/she considered outrageous I was in the wrong. Eh? Did I miss something? Surely overtaking safely is permitted in the Highway Code?

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: What did I do wrong?

Post by NickDeAth »

The problem probably was that he/she didn't have the brain cell sufficiently engaged to think of doing the manoeuvre first!

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Now you are presuming that he/she had a brain cell in the first place!

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

You simply surprised the driver and shook him to his boots. ( I think it will have been a man due to the follow up aggression shown after the event. I don't wish to sound sexist ). He was probably in a world of his own and not concentrating on driving,
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

New Dexter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:31 pm .....Did I miss something? Surely overtaking safely is permitted in the Highway Code?
I guess the driver of the second car considered that you had contravened Highway Code Rule 167....
"Do not overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example: approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road."
...when he had not.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I think that Nick is on the button, but his perception that you had breached the Highway Code doesn't give him licence to drive without due care and attention and in an intimidatory fashion, which breaches rules 144 and 147 of the Code.

Just plain stupidity.

Cheers

Geoff

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I can think of a better description which has only 4 letters..........................
Normal for Norfolk