Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Exhausted

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
JDB

Exhausted

Post by JDB »

I've been repairing the inside of my exhaust silencer today; baffling!

JB

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Exhausted

Post by John-B »

JDB wrote:I've been repairing the inside of my exhaust silencer today; baffling!
JB
Funny guy! How did you get inside it?

I prefer the sound of a Dart when it hasn't got silencers and that raises an interesting point, if the car is pre 1960 and doesn't need an MOT, can I run it around making a lovely noise?

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

unfortunately not as you would be possibly subjected to the below

Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993
It might be the case that the noise in the public domain might not come from such works. There are probably a thousand and one sources of noise that can be heard in public. A neighbour repairing cars outside his home, a refrigeration until on a lorry going all night, the faulty car alarm, even a busker playing an out of tune trombone.

The Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993 extends the statutory nuisance provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to;
“Noise that is prejudicial to health or a nuisance and is emitted from or caused by a vehicle, machinery or equipment in a street.”
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Sadly due to the back pressure required to empty the cylinders efficiently that lovely noise is likely to be accompanied by a lack of performance! I'd still probably go with the lovely noise though
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

JDB

Post by JDB »

Although my original post was supposed to be a joke (which I made the mistake of retelling at work tonight; not many automotively minded people at our place!) it was inspired by this morning's project which did involve cutting the case off one of my MM silencers in a bid to repair it, I did the other one last week. There's not much scope for back pressure in the design and I'm pretty sure they're the original boxes.
JB

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Considering the noise made by those silly Piaggio scooters, about 95 decibels and not enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding, I would rather hear a nice purring V8 any day, but the authorities don't seem to target these matters these days, now that the "yoof" of today are so into enormous exhaust pipes.
Ah well, they will all be deaf prematurely anyway from their iPhone music....!
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Hi Darren
The laws you quote don't apply vehicles moving on the highway. There is other legislation for the police to use regarding noise from motor vehicles driven on the highway construction and use regs etc.
Sections 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002
Only mention it to save all those wasted calls to Environmental health dept across the country about the loud cars and motorbikes upsetting the community
H
Over 50 years in Darts !