Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pi**ed Off....................

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Pi**ed Off....................

Post by Fossil »

Well argued, John, you've convinced me too.

Cheers

Geoff

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

The forum is most probably just like all aspects of life.
The few can spoil it for the many. The fact that you get the odd ars---le is to be tolerated. From what I have seen over the years on both old and new forums, most users are genuinely interested parties able to give as well as receive.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Yes having the same problem, I advertised a Bonnet assy and an LA11 Engine etc, one of our members showed an interest and suggested that he would arrange transport to pick up the parts,so sent him my contact address ,and so far I have heard nothing!!!!

A’l

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Following my last post I feel I have to mention one aspect of ar----le that has to be outed. That is the one who appeals for parts to complete a restoration. You offer the parts free of charge and after a few times of promised collection still doesn't come to pick them up. It gets to the point after eighteen months that you just play them along and then when they do turn up just say sorry I binned them last week.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Well, I've just sent in another request for clarification as to whether the Chap still wants those parts, just have to wait and see for the time being I suppose, but seems likely that the Bonnet etc will end up in my local scrap Yard !!!.............................. :( :(

Cheers A'l

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

There is a variation on this.
I telephoned a local electrician, recommended to me by the electrical stockist. I left a message, with telephone number, asking for him to contact me regarding some work. Nothing.
I sent a mail to a plumber who lives locally and from whose father I buy meat. I wanted a price on installing a lavatory. I asked for a call to discuss the work, I reminded his father and... nothing.
I contacted another electrical contractor, a bigger company than the first and requested a visit to assess my KVA requirement. The owner said he would pop in, then his secretary called to say it would be during the week of the 4th September. Nothing. I called into the office, met the owner who said he would ask one of his staff to make contact. Nothing. Then I visited again, asked why there was a delay and told them to forget it and I wouldn't be back. I went to another place, explained what I wanted and the secretary said she'd ask her boss to make contact. Nothing, not even to say that was not their field of activity.
I found another electrician, recommended by a builder who is also a neighbour. When I asked if this chap was any good I was told that if he wasn't my neighbour wouldn't be using him. Fair enough. Electrician made a visit, was told he had 9 socket to connect to a ring main, 24 down lighters to connect to three separate circuits and he said he would be back. He had also to connect the shed to the mains, install sockets and lights and connect a telephone extension from the shed to the house with two other telephone sockets.
During the weekend the wall was plastered, the cable was fitted into each of the sockets leaving the connection to the sparks to do, along with the rest of the work. There was even more work than I had explained initially. He walked in, looked at the wiring we had installed,said that we done the work for him and walked out. The sparks who did the work was here for over three days. Surely not something a proper worker would want to turn down.
I do wonder sometimes if some "workers" actually want to do any work at all.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Much the same here. I want a back path concreted so I contacted a local small-works builder who lives within one mile whose firm has been in existence for at least a hundred years. Two of them (the whole firm) came to talk about the work and said they would give me a quote within a week. Nothing heard from them since February.

I told my Hungarian gardener in May or June who said he would contact me in the autumn, which he has done and is gearing up to do the work. He and his Hungarian relations and friends work all hours.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

So do I. Keep it open to all.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!