Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pi**ed Off....................

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Pi**ed Off....................

Post by theoldman »

Well pi**ed off.

Someone e mails you with a problem. You spend an hour finding the answer, take some pictures and send them back to the enquirer.

Then.....nothing. Not even a thanks or even a by your leave. Grrr......................

Makes me wonder sometime if it's all worthwhile...................

Neil
(ps - NOT a member of this forum, I hasten to add.)
Normal for Norfolk

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Pi**ed Off....................

Post by Chris_R »

I was going to reply to this posting but now I've decided not to bother. :lol: :lol:

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I am a member of another forum which allows guests to ask a question members can and do answer even though guests cannot go into the members area.

One guest asked a question which required a very detailed answer, a very experienced member promptly answered in great detail with an invitation to get back to him if more help was needed.

As the response said it all, no other response was given.

Two weeks later, Mr Joker slagged off forum and club members for such a pathetic response !!!!!!!

Needless to say, he fielded a lot of flack.

There is no pleasing some folks Neal .

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Syd did you not think you as members should have gone to his and sorted the problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seems to be the way certain people think now we need a mug who costs nothing!! , and as for thank you well not got to bother as he will have forgotten the next time i need help.
I did smile when a thank you button was put up as a possible addition to the forum, not much point for those like we are having a moan about.
There are the givers and the takers Sad to say Neil you give they take, even this forum has some that join for the taking and share nothing sad as it is .
To all my fellow members keep posting we still like to help and a Big Thank You.

Smile it costs nothing :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Said guest was protected by the privacy policy of the forum, no could go round and show him how a big spanner works :D :D

It is sad how many guests who own club cars take advantage of the forum experts and never respond further when they have the answer to their problem, very very few of them join either the club or the forum.

I tend to respond these days with a gentle but none the less fairly blunt, join the club and forum and get what you need.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I suppose being P***ed off is vaguely better than being P***ed on!

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Is it time to follow the lead of other clubs and make the forum for members only. There will always be the free loaders wanting something for nothing whist the forum is being paid for by a declining number of members.
Regards

Colin

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Can I make it clear that the enquiry was not received via the forum.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Warsash 2 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am Hi
Is it time to follow the lead of other clubs and make the forum for members only. There will always be the free loaders wanting something for nothing whist the forum is being paid for by a declining number of members.
Regards

Colin
It's a question of plusses and minuses. If the forum is visible to anyone, as it is now, we may be giving free advice but eventually a lot of hidden guests will join if they see a benefit. We get one or two every week.

If the forum is only visible to members, where will new members come from, except via personal contact, as the forum isn't advertised anywhere and prospective new members would have to email a member or administrator to get registered? The forum would stagnate. (Anyway, John Hitchings and I don't have permissions to alter guest permissions.)

Why do you say that the forum is being paid for by a declining number of members? As I said above, we get one or two new members every week. It's virtually free, apart from the hosting and domain name cost.

Some members registered soon after the forum was activated in February 2016 and have never posted and have never logged in since their registration date. As they seemed unlikely to ever post or may have died, a few were deleted last week, but on the whole, if people are registered, they often get the urge to post a message eventually when something interests them.

On the whole I think we benefit by having a wide audience and encouraging strangers to register.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Totally agree.