Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Has the old forum gone ?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Dave Glyde

Re: Has the old forum gone ?

Post by Dave Glyde »

I joined the DLOC forum just over 2 years ago when I became a Daimler owner. I also joined the club as it seemed the right thing to do as I was using the forum ( even though I knew it was free but only seemed fair to do so). I still consider myself a new boy and therefore do not feel I should be making any critisism but I have to say I have been disappointed with my membership. Other then the monthly DM, which Keith Bennett does an absolutely excellent job producing, I don't get anything from the club. That could be my fault but I have never received anything from the club explaining any benefits available. I was happy however to continue my membership as the forum was excellent and I was more then happy to pay my membership in exchange for using the free forum.
Unfortunately, as has been stated in previous posts this forum seems to be dying fairly rapidly which is a great shame and I am not sure why as the layout and the links seem very similar to before but with some very good improvements.

The upshot from my point of view is that I will be unlikely to renew my membership and will join a local multi-make club instead. It's a shame as the forum was the greatest asset the club had. Many thanks though to the guys who have given their time and skill to keep both the old forum and this forum going.
Dave in Dartford
1948 DB18/2.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Tried 6 times today to be greeted by error 404 error site not available

Graham

Post by Graham »

We was told that we would be able to access the old site by Easter. Is this Easter next year?

bakerp
Site Admin

Post by bakerp »

sherlock wrote:Several solutions exist, free or at a cost...

Free : https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 820&hilit=

Not free : http://gconverters.com/convert-snitz-forum-to-phpbb/

Just do it !
Whilst this may seem like a simple endeavour from a non technical perspective it really isn't, it's not like downloading a piece of software and double clicking it as per your home PC.

The first avenue was explored several years ago by myself and also other professionals and the software was found to be flawed and did not convert the database. It is no longer supported as can been seen from further google searches and many others have hit the same snags we did.

The second option can be put to the board, however, this would not end up being fully integrated with this new forum. If the cost exceeded that of the old forum hosting for an extended period I can't see them being persuaded.

I have chased the old forum hosts again and asked that they investigate further.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

With regard to the previous comment, I am a technical person. I work in IT and I do data migrations from one environment to another.
All the postings in the old forum are simple text comprising (for the most part) alphanumeric characters with occasional control characters (e.g. bold, underline) which change the way a piece of text is displayed.
I find it hard to believe that it is not possible to extract that text based data from the old forum (wherever it is stored) into some intermediate file system and then loaded into the new forum by a script just as if it had been posted here all along. Let's face it, it's only files and data and fairly basic text data at that, surely it can be manipulated.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Chris could you email Peter Baker (head of members list) with your info although I have been told the software is old and will need updating to work. Rest assured people are dealing with as we speak, the whole reason for moving to this site was the old one was so out of date.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I've sent an email to you. Trying to email bakerp, the system says I cannot send an email.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Chris_R wrote:I've sent an email to you. Trying to email bakerp, the system says I cannot send an email.
I've checked your permissions where "Can send emails" is "Yes", so I'm not sure why you can't email bakerp. Look for a post by him, there's one earlier today in this topic; can you see "Contact" under his name which when clicked shows two icons, the right one like an envelope is for email?
However, he may have disabled the facility for other members to email him, but I can't check his board preferences because he is a more senior administrator.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Chris_R wrote:I've sent an email to you. Trying to email bakerp, the system says I cannot send an email.
Sent you an email
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

John-B wrote:
I've checked your permissions where "Can send emails" is "Yes", so I'm not sure why you can't email bakerp. Look for a post by him, there's one earlier today in this topic; can you see "Contact" under his name which when clicked shows two icons, the right one like an envelope is for email?
However, he may have disabled the facility for other members to email him, but I can't check his board preferences because he is a more senior administrator.
That's what I clicked on. The system then said I cannot send the email. Perhaps you can forward what I wrote, I'd only be saying the same again (if I'd kept a copy, which I didn't).