Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest ate my spanner!

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest ate my spanner!

Post by Phillmore »

I was just tightening up the end cover on my inlet manifold when the spanner slipped off the nut, flew (in slow motion) in a perfect parabola over the engine and disappeared somewhere behind the steering box. After an hour of searching it's still hiding! I heard it land on something and it didn't reach the floor. Sometimes classic cars can be soooooooo frustrating!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Conquest ate my spanner!

Post by grahamemmett »

While working on the front suspension of my DB18 I found a spanner still attached to a nut which secured an engine mount. Must have been there many years.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Phillmore wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 am I was just tightening up the end cover on my inlet manifold when the spanner slipped off the nut, flew (in slow motion) in a perfect parabola over the engine and disappeared somewhere behind the steering box. After an hour of searching it's still hiding! I heard it land on something and it didn't reach the floor. Sometimes classic cars can be soooooooo frustrating!
At least a spanner won't burn. I lost a piece of plastic somewhere near the exhaust pipes which I can't find and I thought it might ignite and set fire to grease and oil, but so far it hasn't.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I once went on a service job where a spanner had been dropped in a printing press. I was asked to help find it. When I inquired what happened the printer said he dropped the spanner between the cylinders but couldn't find it. He then said that he dropped another spanner to watch which path the first one had taken ! We found both spanners hours later, the second one taking the most time, but they were nearly two foot apart.

You can now buy alsorts of magnets and mirrors on flexible and extendable rods.
I wish you luck.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I have a special section of tools left behind in my cars at some time by other people. Pride of place goes to a very useful small screwdriver, and also my current favourite pair of wire clippers. Prize for most valuable item goes to a high quality cable reel left in the house by a builder (I think).

The pleasure of ownership is proportional to the chance nature of their acquisition.

Cheers

Geoff

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Found a nearly new Stanley Claw Hammer jammed between the exhaust and the chassis on my old Century!!

(Hammer still in use!)
Normal for Norfolk

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

When we moved to Weybourne I took up some floor boards to do some wiring. I found a nice cardboard box and inside was a Rabone Chesterman. It is actually a long flexible steel with a brass roller on the end, all rolled up onto a heavy metal wheel. You can push the metal strip, unrolling it from the wheel, along pipes etc and then connect your cable on and wheel it back it, this saves a lot of fishing with wire etc. On the brass handle is stamped BT 1967.

Have used it once or twice on various jobs.

Dennis