Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Today

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Today

Post by New Dexter »

Are there any members of this forum who are r regular listeners to the Today programme?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Today

Post by Phillmore »

I used to be until my radio packed up!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Yes. But not in the last three months while on the sick. I have been too busy pigging in bed.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The ancient Goblin Teasmade is set to Radio 4 once the tea's ready in the morning. To be honest, John Humphreys is becoming really irritating continually interrupting every interviewee.

Sarah Montague is leaving soon to go to the World at One (btw she's actually Lady something as her husband inherited a Baronetcy) and Mishal Hussein is very listenable to.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

There is still Justin Webb and Nick Robinson.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

It has not been the same since Jack DeManio left.

Dennis

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

My days have started with Today throughout my entire adult/working life and since. Jack deManio and Brian Redhead remembered with affection but not for the accuracy of their time checks. I share the dislike of interviewers who interrupt, but that is probably a response to those such as politicians who have elevated not answering the question to an art-form.

Why ask?

Geoff

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Geoff don't forget John Timpson who also worked with Brian Redhead. I bet you also did the early morning workouts with Ei.... Fow......
Paul

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

The original reason for posting the question was to find out how many people listened to the programme and to see if any others were becoming as irritated as I am.
John Humphreys does interrupt, even interrupting his own colleagues but there are times when he is dealing with some of the more slippery politicians when that might be necessary.
Now that we have Nick "forgive me for interrupting you" Robinson with his apparent inability to qualify "many" except by repeating it. i.e. instead of "very many" we have "many many" or in one case "many many many" and Justin Webb there are times when I simply switch off the wireless and do something else.
Justin Webb will ask a question, we the listeners are trying to listen and then he will cut across the answer just to ask another question. Even, on one occasion, cutting across what the first guest was saying to ask another guest a separate question. What is the point of asking a question if one is not prepared to listen to the answer? It's not the Robinson and Webb show.
I think the programme is too long, there are only so many news items and yet they keep returning to them throughout the programme as if we hadn't heard about the subjects already.
Then there are the inaccuracies. It's 8,000 odd men and boys killed at Srebrenica yet Matthew Price said it was 7,000. One news bulletin gave the fee Uber had paid to hackers as $100,000 and then later it had dropped to $75,000 and with Sarah Montague referring to Zimbabwe's new president in waiting as MnangaWAY when everyone else pronounced it correctly one began to wonder whether she actually listened.
Don't get me started on the strange sentence constructions. e.g. "The Queen will, today, go to.....".