Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Does this just happen to me...................

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Does this just happen to me...................

Post by theoldman »

....................or do others get this problem?

Yesterday, I needed to remove the battery from the P6. I needed a 10mm spanner. On delving in to the "spanner" section of the toolbox I rummaged through and all i could find were 11mm and 12mm. Eventually, right at the bottom, I found the 10mm.

I then needed to replace the earth strap, which is an 11mm nut.

Back to the toolbox and you've guessed - all i could find were 10mm spanners, which had previously hidden themselves and the three 11mm ones I had found just ten minutes ago had buried themselves at the bottom of the drawer.............................

Do these spanners KNOW I'm looking for them and purposely come alive and hide?
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Does this just happen to me...................

Post by Phillmore »

Yes Neil which is why, after years of rummaging in tool boxes on the floor, I bit the bullet last week and treated myself to a set of Halford's tool chests which happened to be half price. I'm now in the unenviable position of having more drawers than spanners ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

What do you need spanners for? What's wrong with a big pair of mole grips?

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

If you had wanted a spanner for the 11mm AF nut then you could have sneaked up on a 7/16ths AF spanner. It might not have expected you.....

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Murphy's law says the more draws you have the more stuff you get to fill them, that makes it easier for tools to hide.

My tools are in a big tool chest on wheels (brilliant bit of kit, Christmas present from the Smith tribe many years ago) split into imperial and metric draws, they always find a way of flitting between draws, when I need metric I find AF when I need AF I find metric.

As for those mole grips, they have a frustrating habit of finding the hammer draw.

I blame her indoors, she has a habit of calling me in for food just as I am finishing a job, the tools take advantage of my need to put them away quickly and put themselves into the wrong draw.

Strange thing is it is always the tools I use the most that migrate the most. :) :)

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

It's a toss up as to which takes the longer, rummaging around in the bottom of the tool box or getting the spanners in and out of those fancy holding clips.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

My dilemma now is which tools to put in which drawers! Life is never simple . . .
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Neil, my problem these days is putting down a tool then forgetting where I put it and is driving me mad. It must just be an age thing.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

John- snap. Put down my induction ammeter and couldn't find it for a week.

It was in the logical place - on the paint shelf..................................
Normal for Norfolk