Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Paying by credir/debit card.

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Paying by credir/debit card.

Post by Stan Thomas »

I've just read on another website that it is now no longer legal to add a charge for paying by credit card, debit card and via PayPal. Is that correct??

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Paying by credir/debit card.

Post by Sydsmith »

Yes Stan the law has been changed by the EU and though it is no longer legal to make a credit or card surcharge, it is perfectly OK to make an administration charge.

We use Irish Ferries to go to Ireland 3-4 times a year, they charge an admin fee of £5 per booking and as they insist that a return booking is two transactions, £10 admin fee each time we go.

With the £10 per person each way flexi booking fee, it adds up to £10+£20 +£20 so a hefty £50 to have the luxury of booking and paying ahead and being able to change the booking at a later date if we have to. If we choose not to pay the flexi fee, they charge us £25 each way to change a booking, if we have to.

So watch out for those admin fees, they are going to replace the credit/debit card surcharge and could be a good deal higher.

When I ran a small business some years ago the credit card companies charged us 4-5% for handling credit cards and 20/30p per transaction for debit cards, it added up to many thousands a year. These days with competition, the fees have now fallen and it is nearer 1-2% but still a hefty bill for small companies. Bigger retailers get charged less than half a percent so they make a packet on the 5-6% they charge for credit cards..

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thank you for that - and although a moot point, I would argue that in law when booking your tickets with Irish Ferries, that is one complete transaction not two as they say based upon two journeys.

And I thought the Isle of Man Steam Racket Company were bad enough!

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

To be fair Stan, I go across to the Isle of Man most years and their ferry/hotel packages are amazingly affordable and I can recommend going there for their many transport/racing events.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!