Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Back to the Future....?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Back to the Future....?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I guess in the UK we're used to entrepreneurial 'trading estate specials' produced with a retro feel in small numbers at large prices and generally disappearing without trace, but it's not often they emerge from Japan.

Enter the Mitsuoka Roadster. To my eye it takes styling cues from Jaguar, Morgan, Panther, Chrysler (and isn't there even a hint of Special Sports in its bum?) and completely misses the boat with all of them.

Being Japanese I've no doubt the build standard will be beyond reproach – although it's unlikely to be much of a road burner with just 160 PS available. Still, the pricing is surprisingly competitive so who knows....?

What do you think?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Back to the Future....?

Post by John-B »

Well, I suppose it's less ugly than a Daimler Dart (I'm quite proud to own a car that most people wouldn't be seen dead with).

The front certainly has echoes of a Jaguar XK150, (my woodwork master at school was obviously quite rich as he had a new one and boasted about racing up the new M1), and I think the front is passable, but I don't like the rear end, it's lumpy. They haven't designed a place for the front registration plate.

The interior is too modern, too plastic-y, too black.

I think it may be desirable. The promotion is quite slick, and the price of £53,800 is quite reasonable.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Is it not a tweaked Morgan Aero 8? with a lot less power
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I don't consider the Dart to be ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me it is far more attractive than any Austin-Healey, MG or TR. For example the frontal styling of the A-H 3000 really does look like a bottom-feeder, one with a far too pronounced lower jaw, all it needs is a luminous lure dangling just above the mouth/grille to complete the image of an angler fish, or, without the lure, a monk fish. Does no one else see the similarity? Why is it just the Dart that is still considered fair game for such critical comparison when there are so many other very ungainly car designs all around?

I particularly like the Dart's lower body line which rises gracefully and steadily all the way from the rear wheel arch to the front valance below the radiator grille, and which, together with the wheelarch body sculpture, is so reminiscent of elegant pre-war styling. The body design and dimensions are also very well balanced front to rear unlike some rivals. It is bold, perhaps even radical, dramatic and stylish, with so many simple elegant details that it's difficult to imagine how it could be significantly improved upon, as Sir William's attempt demonstrated very well imho; that was just too bland and lacking in character, with an unimaginative E type dash design that looks totally out of place in comparison to the original.

Add to it that astonishing engine and we have no reason to be apologetic for such a unique piece of British automotive history.

Cheers

Geoff

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I apologise profusely. In fact I think the Dart looks much better with a front bumper and over-riders, aggressive, a bit like a shark, or a wide toothy grin.

My Dart had that in 1968 but when I bought it back in 2013 it had lost its front bumper, leaving a rather ugly open-mouthed look like your bottom-feeder, a rather narrow look like a guilty child. That open mouth look was common on cars at the time. I've now got a front bumper and over-riders on my Dart and it looks much better, also from the side where the overhang at the back was so much more than the front without a bumper, but it looks more balanced with a front bumper.

However, back on topic, I think the Mitsuoka Roadster could be quite popular.
'trading estate specials' produced with a retro feel in small numbers at large prices and generally disappearing without trace.
It's often a good idea to buy a car from a small company that goes bust, think of Delorean, you then have a rare car from a limited production run.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Whatever the pros and cons of the Darts aesthetics, the point is that whether by accident or design it is wedge shaped , therefore when you slam the brakes on at 100mph plus it stops in a straight line, unlike others of its era including more expensive models which become accidents looking for somewhere to happen
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

It's been widely reported that Enzo Ferrari considered the Jaguar E-Type 'The most beautiful car ever made'.

Does anyone know what he thought of the SP.....?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

How about this then from Russia?
bilenkin_classic_cars_vintage_9.jpeg
bmw-m3-by-bilenkin-c-4_1600x0w.jpg
http://bilenkin.ru/landing/index.html

Route 66drivers.com

Post by Route 66drivers.com »

A Mitsu passed be when I was in a tuktuk in Thailand. Was a rag top with the top down, and a very elegant older lady driving. Certainly looked good in the plastic. Thought it was an XK from a distance as it approached.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Mitsuoka Roadster? Why am I thinking of Nora Docker..............................