Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Post by New Dexter »

The Facts of Life

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Anybody, Somebody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was certain that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it but Nobody did. Somebody became angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn't do it. As a result Eveyrbody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

On a personal note I have mentioned that existence of "Someone Else". I have never met him/her but many times had to deal with something that he/she should have done, could have done, was going to do or had done with the result that the outcome of that was my problem. Perhaps he or she is related to the four characters above

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

A universal truism that I suspect has an equivalent in almost every culture in the world. I remember being told this by a Frenchman when I asked who was responsible for a particular governmental function....

Il était une fois quatre individus qu'on appelait
Tout le monde - Quelqu'un - Chacun - et Personne.
Il y avait un important travail à faire,
Et on a demandé à Tout le monde de le faire.
Tout le monde était persuadé que Quelqu'un le ferait.
Chacun pouvait l'avoir fait, mais en réalité Personne ne le fit.
Quelqu'un se fâcha car c'était le travail de Tout le monde !
Tout le monde pensa que Chacun pouvait le faire
Et Personne ne doutait que Quelqu'un le ferait…
En fin de compte, Tout le monde fit des reproches à Chacun
Parce que Personne n'avait fait ce que Quelqu'un aurait pu faire.

If your french isn't up to a it, don't worry - you have an almost perfect translation above.... ;)
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you. I did the google translate bit and the French is extremely close!