Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Security on the Forum

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Security on the Forum

Post by Salmons »

I have a McAfee security system on my PC. Every time that I go onto the Forum a Message comes up saying that the site is not Secure.

Salmons

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Security on the Forum

Post by John-B »

Security of a pc at home is certainly one element of security, but the forum's personal details are held on a database at the hosting service for the dloc.co.uk domain.

John Hitchings and I have no access to it as it was set up by bakerp and he would know about the security arrangements for that.

Similarly, I would imagine that the company now being used for the DLOC membership would also have databases held at their hosting service.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Thank You John,

I wondered whether it meant that the Forum was not secure.

Dennis

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Salmons wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am Thank You John,
I wondered whether it meant that the Forum was not secure.
Dennis
There are always hundreds of ways that data held online can be stolen, we just have to block as many avenues as possible.

The old forum had passwords hacked, which is why this forum was set up and I have upgraded to the latest version of the software several times. I'm sure the domain server would have security measures, but only bakerp knows.

When McAfee says that the forum is not secure, it may mean that our forum, like most, has a url starting with http whereas bank websites start with the more secure https. I wouldn't worry too much about that. McAfee is being over-cautious, I hope! Http or https refers only to the transfer of data from your pc to somewhere else, not to the eventual storage place.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Dennis, are you getting this message at the logon stage of the forum? If yes, then it is as John says, because the forum is not using HTTPS transfer protocol between you and the website. HTTPS is the more secure data transfer protocol between website user (you) and the website which means that all communications are encrypted. This is why banks and almost all other websites where you do some kind of business extensively use the HTTPS protocol. McAfee is picking up that you are entering a username and a password on an unencrypted transfer protocol. If you check the "remember" me box and set a favourite to the main index page you can skip that logon page altogether and if you simply access your favourite you will go straight to the index page.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Thanks Chris for this advice. Not being very Computer Technology Friendly. My eyes have begun to glaze over!

Best, Dennis

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Salmons wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 am Thanks Chris for this advice. Not being very Computer Technology Friendly. My eyes have begun to glaze over!

Best, Dennis
Sorry.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Hi Dennis

My computer has security software and this website has never come up as insecure. Maybe an individual issue.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

P1060400.JPG
This is the message I get in the top RH corner of my screen.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Dennis mine is the same but must be a Norfolk thing i did think it went when logged on, but still showing now as i type so no change to yours.
Peter :o :o
just done another check as soon as you start on a reply it comes up insecure , but is gone after posting so it does show at times.