Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Close shave

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Close shave

Post by Sydsmith »

For many years I have used a Panasonic wet an dry electric shaver and found it very good indeed, however the beard has got very tough as I have aged and reluctantly had to change to wet shaving to get a decent shave.

I have tried all sorts of razors over the past couple of years but ended up using those really expensive Gillette Fusion blades. They give a nice comfortable shave, but they are extremely expensive, at about £4-5 a blade, even though they do last many shaves.

I have tried fleabay but they are almost all cheap copies which are poor quality pull like mad and don't last like the originals.

Recently I decided to shop around and found in B&M some Wilkinson Quattro razors at £3.79 for a pack of three. Similar to the Gillette but smaller and lighter and a fraction of the price. Worth a try I thought.

That was over two weeks ago and the first razor is still going strong after 14 shaves, the lighter smaller razor is nice to use and much better to handle to get into the tight bits round the nose and ears and they give a nice smooth shave. Syd

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Close shave

Post by simonp »

One tip re shaving that might make a huge difference and save you a fortune in blades.

Once you have lathered up, leave it for a couple of minutes. This will give time for your bristles to soften. A much easier nicer shave results and blades seem to last ages.

I wish I had learnt this years ago. I use ordinary two blade disposable razors - and each one will last for weeks!

Never see this advice because it is not in the interests of the manufacturers of blades!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

My dad always wet shaved and in those days he used an open razor and a leather strop, as you say Simon, he always use boiling water lathered up then sharpened the razor, then shaved. Syd
P.S. First blade still going strong after 20 shaves.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

My granddad had six cut-throat razors in a box and used one a day.

Once a week he went by bus to Salisbury market and handed his razors to a barber to be sharpened, then he went to the cattle market and picked up the razors on his way home.

I don't know what he did on the seventh day, but when he gave me a kiss his stubble was as sharp as pins!

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

The key is - do not shave straight after lathering - wait - wait several minutes and then shave!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

My Grandfather had a set of seven 'Cut Throat' razors in a box each one had a day, the day of the week, engraved on the Blade.

Dennis

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Syd,

Mr. Cheapskate here uses the "Cien" brand 5 blade system from.............LIDL!!!

First razor was around £2.99 with one blade in it and the refills are just under 4 quid for a pack of 5.

I find them excellent and a blade lasts about 10 days.

Still a lot cheaper than Gillette/Wilkinson etc. which I used to use.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I didn't realise how much cheaper is is to have a beard. You just trim it once a week scissors last for years.

Dennis

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Neil, Thanks for the tip, will have a go at the Lidl ones, but these Wilkinson's 3 blade razors only cost £3.79 for 3 from B&M so still very cheap.

They seem to last as long as the expensive Gillette blades and I love the way the razor handles, so much lighter and easier than the hefty Gillette system.

Not sure about growing a beard Dennis, bit warm in the summer.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

With my tough old stubble I need a 5 blade, Syd. If you're happy with a "three", the B&M ones appear good value.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk