Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wot does the “Team” think !!!

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Wot does the “Team” think !!!

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps,
My ex wife informed me a couple of days ago, that she had received a communication addressed to my son, from the DVLA at her address.
It stated that according to their records that a Fiat 127 3 Door Hatchback ( 127 Sport) Reg SAF 31Y ,that my son was the registered as the keeper, however they had received an application to record that someone else was now applying to be the registered keeper , my son had actually emimigrated to Australia in circa 1998. !
Well this particular car was written off in a quite serious accident way back in January 1991
, and as far as we were concerned , and it had been partially stripped of various items and the been taken off to be scrapped . .
I telephoned the DVLA and explained the situation, the chap informed that the applicant had all the relevant Chassis No details .
I suggested that they send one of their chaps to inspect the vehicle in case my sons car had .been cloned!
I also did a Taxation check , and Tax was due on 1st of Feb 1991, so I wonder what is going on??
The car was extensively damaged, with the NSF wheel nearly entering the passengers footwell, and the Roof was also deformed , quite apart from the mechanical damage to the suspension / Gearbox etc so would not thought worth trying to repair , so like I said what’s going on ???

Your thought please !,

Cheers Al
[/quote]
Last edited by JT7196 on Thu May 24, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Wot does the “Team” think !!!

Post by John-B »

He should definitely inform DVLA that he has not been the registered keeper since ... and send some evidence.

It sounds as if the car was never scrapped.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi John, I have enclosed a covering letter with the form that I was asked to return to DVLA in Swansea, more or less explaing as above ,
I did do a Taxation check, and this confirmed that the Fiat had indeed not been Taxed since February 1991 .

Cheers Al :D

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I think something fishy going on.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Even though the car was written off as you say, it sounds like someone has the details from the original registration document - hence they can quote chassis and VIN numbers etc.

Consider this - if the car was remotely repairable, why has there been no application to register a new keeper for 27 years, and what condition would the remains of the car be in by now? So it does appear to be a scam.

However, it is an offence for a registered keeper not to inform the DVLA of any change of circumstances such as when a vehicle is sold, exported or scrapped - so did your son simply give or sell the damaged car to a scrap yard but without informing the DVLA?

That said, I'm sure the DVLA cannot take action after such a lengthy passage of time, so if some numpty at the DVLA attempts to make an issue of things - resist it, and they will go away. I've heard of this "try-on" before!.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Stan, well to date we have hear nothing, I really do not know if my son contacted DVLA , as the car was taken to a mates body shop, and then removed by presumably a scrap dealer, but as you said , it was a long time ago!
I do recall, that some time after the car was taken away for scrap, we did get a letter informing us that the car had been illegally parked somewhere either in Devon or Cornwall !!
Of course , we informed them that would have been impossible as the car was a total loss , after being involved in an accident, and we never heard back from them.
Very strange !!!

Cheers A'l :D :lol: