Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Subscribing to a topic to receive an email alert

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
John-B
Site Admin

Subscribing to a topic to receive an email alert

Post by John-B »

EDIT 23/09/2018: the operation of the subscribe button has been corrected by the latest update and the button moved into it's own box above and below a post window. Ignore most of the text below.

I have a suspicion that getting an email when someone replies to a topic you have subscribed to isn't working properly. If you subscribe, you don't have to keep logging in to the forum to see if someone has replied to a topic you are interested in. You can subscribe to any topic even if you didn't start it. I've searched the phpBB support forum and there are hundreds of posts about subscribe topic. If there is a problem, I can't do anything about it.

EDIT: I think the button is working the wrong way round. If you open any topic and click the spanner icon you may see that the subscribe box is already checked when it shouldn't be as the default is Off. Uncheck this box, confirm Yes in the popup that you do want to subscribe, then ignore the error pop up. Then go to User Control Panel, Overview, Manage Subscriptions and you should see that the chosen topic is in the Watch list.

In User Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Notification Options , make sure the box in the column for Email for "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" is checked. You should only receive emails for newer replies (not your own).

EDIT 2: The above method works. I've received an email about a reply by someone to another topic I subscribed to.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Subscribing to a topic to receive an email alert

Post by New Dexter »

John,

I have written to you on the subject of insecurity on this website but without a reply. Reading your comment about subscribing I clicked the spanner icon and it said "print item". I went to another post, clicked the spanner with the same result but nothing else. Wishing to advise you of the problem I was having I had to log in only to have the search bar show up, in red, website not secure. Why would this be the case?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I haven't any idea why you get the result you state! I'm not an IT expert and with a free forum we have to take it as it is. However, there is a phpBB support forum where you can ask questions and get expert answers.

If you aren't logged in, I expect you only see "Print View" when you click the spanner icon, but when logged in you see four items, subscribe topic, bookmark topic, email topic and print view where the first three are for members only.

No one else has reported a security message, and I think you mentioned it before. I think it is more likely to be raised by your own computer settings or your ISP's security rather than the forum software.

Touch wood, we have had very few security problems, just a few humans (not spambots) who have managed to register and shown an advertisement in their profile but have been unable to post because we have a first post approval system (they didn't try to post).

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The Chrome browser will flag any website which isn’t https as insecure. The forum software doesn’t support this and we can’t change it.
There’s no risk to your own computer when using the forum.
I’m sure you have up to date antivirus software but if not, the Microsoft’s Security Essentials is free and as good as any you pay for. Always set your computer to automatically update.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)