Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forum administrators and moderators to be responsible for online content

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
John-B
Site Admin

Forum administrators and moderators to be responsible for online content

Post by John-B »

Quotation from another forum: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13662 Read the whole discussion.
Lucy Powell MP (some xxxx for Labour who doesn't know how the internet works, but knows "hate speech" when she sees it) is proposing an Online Forums Bill that requires content moderators to be responsible for content posted.

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/20 ... orums.html

"A Bill to make administrators and moderators of certain online forums responsible for content published on those forums; to require such administrators and moderators to remove certain content; to require platforms to publish information about such forums; and for connected purposes. "

There is an exemption for small forums - which are considered 500 users or less :D
500 users is an extremely small forum! This one already has 724. If I have to be responsible for your post contents I will (probably) resign immediately! :o

Removing undesirable content is reasonable, but being legally responsible is quite another matter. I've no wish to be hauled before a court for something a forum member said.

There are closed groups on Facebook about Daimlers which would be caught by this Bill.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Forum administrators and moderators to be responsible for online content

Post by Phillmore »

I'm tempted to say - loony, lefty, PC B******s but if I did, I'd probably have to be excommunicated from the forum so I won't ;) . May free speech reign without censorship.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

The trouble is that there are probably more than enough limp wristed do gooders to get the bill passed. I suppose I shouldn't have said that.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I can sympathise with your worry there John. Why can't they focus on the BIG issues?
Plan B (in case this nonsense become law): While there are more than 700 registered users, I'd guess there's no more than 100 who regularly use the forum so we could drop off anybody who hasn't been on for 12 months. They'd have to re-register to get back on but I'm sure that would keep us under 500.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

grahamemmett wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am Why can't they focus on the BIG issues?
The murder of Jo Cox and the murder in North London by Darren Osborne, both influenced by internet forums are not a big enough issue for you? The online threats of rape, acid attack or even death of Gina Miller not a big enough issue?
In this forum we are responsible by and large and are reasonable people who confine our comments in the main to mostly non-controversial motoring matters. But even here I think the moderator has had to step in once or twice when views became a bit heated.
But there are some unpleasant forums out there, mainly hosted on Facebook that propogate some very unpleasant views that would be illegal in any other publication and the moderators of those do nothing, sometimes even encourage it.
Facebook claim they are not a publisher and so abdicate responsibility for what is said on their website claiming it's the people who write it are responsible. Since many of those people who write this stuff are anonymous or have used false names they are sometimes impossible to identify or trace. The group moderator is the focus of this stuff and under whose auspices these disgusting views are written.
Personally I think the proposal does not go far enough, they should make Facebook, Google and so on publishers in the same way as News International or Sky are publishers and be therefore responsible for what appears on their systems with suitable penalties for infringement. That would soon sort this out.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

grahamemmett wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am I can sympathise with your worry there John. Why can't they focus on the BIG issues?
Plan B (in case this nonsense become law): While there are more than 700 registered users, I'd guess there's no more than 100 who regularly use the forum so we could drop off anybody who hasn't been on for 12 months. They'd have to re-register to get back on but I'm sure that would keep us under 500.
I'm not worried, I expect many small forums like our's will never be looked at unless something really bad happens to draw it to the attention of the authorities. I'm just pointing out an issue that may affect other members who moderate forums. I did remove a few members who registered in the first week or so after this forum started and never logged in again, but then one person emailed to say that he couldn't remember his username and password so I had to tell him to register again, so deleting memberships can be awkward. Some people wake up after a long sleep!

@Chris_R I'm not saying moderators shouldn't be tough and weed out undesirable posts, I'm pointing out that some moderators may be legally liable and hauled before the courts for something they missed in a busy forum or where the content of a post is borderline, ie a subjective decision.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Yes Ok Chris, point taken
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Helen Wainwright

Post by Helen Wainwright »

This is ridiculous.
As John B says, no-one will take on the job of moderator in future,
if they are to be legally liable for the contents of people's opinions.
There must be another way to stop the trolls? :?:

Helen

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Just to say this site is monitored so regularly I am sure any nonsense could be removed very quickly, unlike the old forum this one is far more difficult to infiltrate. I have no worries at all with this forum now and the law. I agree with the idea of people just joining once and never again could be removed if just to tidy up.